Enable Network Level Authentication in WHS Remote Desktop Client RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to connect to a Windows 7 computer via remote desktop from my WHS. The Win7 computer has "network level authentication" enabled for RDP, which I'd like to keep.

I was able to enable network level auth on my Windows XP machines using the info at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951608. However this did not work for WHS. Does anybody know how I can enable Network Level Authentication in my Remote Desktop Client on WHS?
    Monday, January 25, 2010 4:38 PM

Answers

• As I said, you could try installing the current Terminal Services client tools, since the current version supports NLA. Some users (who installed it through Microsoft Updates) have had problems with their servers afterward, so I can't really recommend the attempt.

As for installing CredSSP, it's not supported on Windows Server, as far as I know. You could try downloading the installation package, then running it. Likely it will pop up a version error. If so, before you close the error window, browse your C: and D: volumes for a newly created folder with the actual installation in it (unzipped from the installation package). If you can find it, while the error message is left visible, go ahead and run it in XP compatibility mode. Again, though, I won't guarantee that your server will be fine afterward. Anything that deals with security may interfere with the Windows Home Server security model, after all.

As for being sure there's a way, there may or may not be, but A) it will be unsupported, and B) it may cause problems. How valuable is the data on your server to you and your family?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by MeWa Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:43 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:30 AM

All replies

• It's going to depend on what you have installed on your server, and how you're trying to connect from it to your Windows 7 computer. If you've installed the current Remote Desktop client on your server, then I believe you should be able to connect from a desktop session on your server to your Windows 7 computer. Probably you will be unable to connect through the remote access web site, however, as that adds layers of indirection.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:34 PM
  • I am using the remote desktop client that came with WHS, from a desktop session on the WHS (not sure what the client version number is, but I routinely download Windows Updates). That does not support Network Level Auth. Not using the web interface.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 6:24 PM
  • That version of the TS client doesn't support NLA. You could try installing the current version, though doing so is unsupported and some users have had issues as a result. Better would be to simply turn off NLA.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 6:50 PM
  • Where do I get the "current" version?

Also my understanding was that the NLA was not a function of the client but that of the OS, for e.g. the link I posted above explains how to turn it on for WinXP SP3...

Sure, turning off NLA would work, but I'm sure there has to be a way for me to do this without decreasing security...
    Monday, January 25, 2010 6:58 PM
  • The current version can be found here.
    Although it is not for Windows Server 2003, there are ways to use the Windows XP on that platform (not supported, and potentially violating the license).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Thanks for the link. I've tried to install the x86 XP client on WHS, without any success. Can you point me in the right direction?
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Thanks for the link. I've tried to install the x86 XP client on WHS, without any success. Can you point me in the right direction?

No I can't, but a search engine of your choice surely can.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:56 AM
  • As I said, you could try installing the current Terminal Services client tools, since the current version supports NLA. Some users (who installed it through Microsoft Updates) have had problems with their servers afterward, so I can't really recommend the attempt.

As for installing CredSSP, it's not supported on Windows Server, as far as I know. You could try downloading the installation package, then running it. Likely it will pop up a version error. If so, before you close the error window, browse your C: and D: volumes for a newly created folder with the actual installation in it (unzipped from the installation package). If you can find it, while the error message is left visible, go ahead and run it in XP compatibility mode. Again, though, I won't guarantee that your server will be fine afterward. Anything that deals with security may interfere with the Windows Home Server security model, after all.

As for being sure there's a way, there may or may not be, but A) it will be unsupported, and B) it may cause problems. How valuable is the data on your server to you and your family?
    • Marked as answer by MeWa Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:43 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:30 AM