Can't Perform Reinstall After Power Outage RRS feed

• Question

• This morning, I experience an electrical power failure.  The clients all rebooted fine, but the server would not come on line.  Hooked up keyboard, mouse, and monitor to see message "Disk read failure, hit alt-cntr-del to reboot," or some such.  After repeated failures, I figured I'd have to reinstall to OS on the WHS.  Put in the DVD and got into setup.  On the screen that shows the drives, it shows Disk 0 having two volumns, Vol 1 of 20GB, and Vol 2 of 678.  Disk 1 is one volumn of 698GB.  Here's where it goes strange.  Disk 0, Vol 1 displays as Raw, not NTFS like the other volumns.  If I click next, the only option I get is a NEW installation--there is no reinstall option.  HELP!  I've searched thru other postings on this site, and it looks like i should reformat Vol 1 on Disk 0, but I'd like confirmation of this before I go further.  Thx.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:09 PM

Answers

• OK, things are fixed and running fine.  I took the drives out of the server, and put them, one by one, into a Win7 box.  Disk1, which just has the one data volumn, looked fine and I could see all the data in /DE.  When I put Disk0 in the Win7 box, on boot I got an error message, and chkdsk ran on the sys volumn, and FIXED IT!  When I put it back in the WHS, it booted and everything runs fine.  It looks as though I won't even have to do a system reinstall, which is GREAT.  I guess that, because the flawed volumn was the system volumn, the WHS couldn't even run chkdsk on it.  FWIW.  Ed

• Marked as answer by Sailwithed Monday, June 21, 2010 8:39 PM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 8:39 PM

All replies

• How many disks does your home server have? If more than one, are all important shares duplicated? With some luck even no critical data is on the D: drive. If so, try the method described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure or swap the entire system disk and attempt again, if you get a server reinstall offered.

If the disk you have in your home server is the only disk or you have non duplicated folders, which may be stored also on that unreadable D: drive, try to attach the disk to a Windows 7 system as secondary drive and run chkdsk /r against the unreadable drive from there. If both ways don't get your data back and you also didn't care about regulary backing up the server shares itself (there are always situations, in which the entire server can be blown up, so this is important, if you value the data stored on it) a last way would be 3rd party recovery tools (I had good experience in a very hard case with GetDataBack for NTFS, although it will cost money - testing, if data can be found, is free.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, June 21, 2010 7:22 PM
  • Olaf,

The server has two WD 750 GB green drives.  All important files are duplicated.  Disk0 has two volumns, the 20GB system volumn (which is now indicating Raw as opposed to NTFS) and a data volumn.  Disk1 has just one volumn for data.  Again, the two data volumns show as NTFS, but the system volumn indicates Raw.  When I try to reload the system, it only indicates a new installation as a possibility.  I assume this is because the system volumn is screwed up.  Should I reformat the system volumn and then try the reinstall?

Thanks-Ed

Monday, June 21, 2010 7:36 PM
  • OK, things are fixed and running fine.  I took the drives out of the server, and put them, one by one, into a Win7 box.  Disk1, which just has the one data volumn, looked fine and I could see all the data in /DE.  When I put Disk0 in the Win7 box, on boot I got an error message, and chkdsk ran on the sys volumn, and FIXED IT!  When I put it back in the WHS, it booted and everything runs fine.  It looks as though I won't even have to do a system reinstall, which is GREAT.  I guess that, because the flawed volumn was the system volumn, the WHS couldn't even run chkdsk on it.  FWIW.  Ed

• Marked as answer by Sailwithed Monday, June 21, 2010 8:39 PM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 8:39 PM
  • If chkdsk reported bad sectors, you should plan on replacing that drive. Hardware errors generally will keep coming back.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:00 AM