Why upgrade to Beta 2.0 ?? RRS feed

• Question

• Would appreciate it if someone would provide me any reason(s) to upgrade from the current version of OneCare 1.6 (which I use and have a paid subscription for), to the new Beta 2.0 before the 2.0 version is upgraded to a certified program as opposed to the Beta.

Thanks --- Larry

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 3:17 PM

Answers

• Unless you want to see what the new version offers, there is no reason to remove 1.6 now and install the beta. Doing so will not suspend your subscription and it is quite likely that you will need to uninstall the beta code at the end of the beta period and reinstall the released code.

The new features and functionality are pretty well described in the forums. They include Multi-PC management via circles, Secure WiFi for supported routers, Printer Sharing handled by OneCare, Centralized backup, a startup optimizer, and several performance enhancements. It is a beta, though, and it may well cause problems due to bugs.

-steve

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 3:29 PM

All replies

• Unless you want to see what the new version offers, there is no reason to remove 1.6 now and install the beta. Doing so will not suspend your subscription and it is quite likely that you will need to uninstall the beta code at the end of the beta period and reinstall the released code.

The new features and functionality are pretty well described in the forums. They include Multi-PC management via circles, Secure WiFi for supported routers, Printer Sharing handled by OneCare, Centralized backup, a startup optimizer, and several performance enhancements. It is a beta, though, and it may well cause problems due to bugs.

-steve

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 3:29 PM
  • Steve:

Thanks you very much for your comments.

Larry

Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:01 PM
  • If I was you I would not bother installing this version of the beta.

I received the announcement of the beta on Tuesday and I installed the beta on Thursday. The WLOC service was down from Thursday until yesterday,  However there was no !@#$ announcement that the service would be down which meant that the install could not continue.  I wasted over an hour figuring out that the problem was on Microsoft's end.  So it wasn't until yesterday that I was able to get the OneCare beta to install. 

My next mistake was to try the "OneCare circle" feature.  I followed the instructions to the letter.  I made my PC a Hub.  I installed OneCare on another PC, rebooted, registered, etc.  I went back to my Hub PC and clicked on the Add a PC to your OneCare circle - nothing happens.

Another nice touch to this version, in Vista, the UAC dialog pops up any time you want to see what's happening with OneCare.  OneCare pops up a notice that my PC is at risk and asks me to open OneCare to fix the issues.  Yet when I do so I'm asked if I really meant to start OneCare.  That's absurd.

So now I have a fiery red OneCare notification area icon. ;-)

At Risk in Houston,

Simon

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 12:35 AM
  • I'm sorry you encountered problems, but it is, after all a beta, which means that there will most likely be problems that won't be or should not be happening in a production environment with a production version. I don't know what happened, but my first exposure to a server issue was later Friday evening, not Thursday. And it was fixed Monday morning, today, albeit Pacific time.

I can't speak to your problem with the Circle unless it happened while the residua server issues were ironed out (which I hope they are) in the beta environment.

The UAC item you mention is not new to this version - it is Vista. Making program changes to your security settings require the UAC prompt to insure that you do indeed want to make those changes. Opening OneCare from the System TRay should not trigger a UAC prompt, unless you are opening it from a warning dialog to address an issue. You mention being in red status, but you don't indicate why, which it will tell you if you open OneCare.

-steve

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 12:56 AM
  •  

Hi Steve,

No apologies necessary.  I was just expressing my opinion.

The red status is due to "Urgent - OneCare can't connect to the other PCs in your OneCare circle. To troubleshoot this problem, click Help." Whe I click on Help, the status changes to yellow and about 5 minutes later, changes back to red and the same urgent message appears.

Hmm, the UAC prompt comes up when I click on the tray icon, as well as the warning balloon.

I must be a statistical anomaly to be hit by three issues that glided by everyone else.  You've got a better idea than I of the ratio of OneCare downloads/activations vs bug reports.  For me the ratio was one to one. 

HTH,

Simon

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:17 AM
  • I finally got WLOC reinstalled after issues with the service stopping. Now I also get this Urgent message. I know I have network access as I can access my NAS and other computer.

I also lost all my DVD drives again after reinstalling Sad I just used the program from Doug again and got em back.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:09 AM
  • Hi, Simon. Actually, my sense of where we stand with errors is based completely on what's here in the forums. It does appear that there are still problems with the Circle for some reason, particularly seeing the other posts about this problem such as the one following yours today.

As for the UAC prompt, I'm not running 2.0 beta on Vista, but 1.6 only throws UAC at me if I click Change Settings. That may be different in 2.0.

-steve

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 5:22 PM
  • I'll bring both of these issues to the attention of the OneCare team again.

-steve

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 5:23 PM
  • I posted this same problem to OneCare Can't Connect

http://forums.microsoft.com/windowsonecare/ShowPost.aspx?postid=2066685&siteid=2

Basically rebooting will clear the message. But I think it shouldn't happen in the first place.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:30 PM
  • Thanks, dcmorrow. I agree that it shouldn't be happening.

-steve

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:10 AM