How to Improve My.Live.com RRS feed

• General discussion

• Want some idea how I would like to see My.Live.com go? Take a peek at www.bbc.co.uk to get a feel of how attractive a users page can be made. My.Live.com is far too fussy and I have never used it ever! It is possible to fit quite a lot on a page without it becoming unweildy and for the average user, it is just too complicated to set up. It just isn't attractive at all, and I agree that the user should be able to have total control over the colours, background, fonts, headers of the modules etc, just like when constructing your spaces page and blog.  In fact, I should imagine that you can use the same set up or similar (only with far more options especially the fonts/size of fonts etc.)
    If you really want most users to use the My.Live.com, then they should have full control over its construction and I agree that it should be consistent with other live services/ applications.
    • Edited by technogranny Monday, August 11, 2008 1:52 PM spelling
    Monday, August 11, 2008 1:50 PM

All replies

• technogranny said:

Want some idea how I would like to see My.Live.com go? Take a peek at www.bbc.co.uk to get a feel of how attractive a users page can be made. My.Live.com is far too fussy and I have never used it ever! It is possible to fit quite a lot on a page without it becoming unweildy and for the average user, it is just too complicated to set up. It just isn't attractive at all, and I agree that the user should be able to have total control over the colours, background, fonts, headers of the modules etc, just like when constructing your spaces page and blog.  In fact, I should imagine that you can use the same set up or similar (only with far more options especially the fonts/size of fonts etc.)
    If you really want most users to use the My.Live.com, then they should have full control over its construction and I agree that it should be consistent with other live services/ applications.

I'm wanting them to keep the color bars AS AN OPTION in wave 3. that's all I really care about. People can have the backgrounds but for those who want a clean simple look to match our OS then offer wave 2 UI in wave 3.

They should take a look at http://next.my.msn.com/ ad base the designs off of that or better yet have ONE portal not the 5 or so they have right now.
    Monday, August 11, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Great feedback.  Performance, usability, and additional customizations are some of the difficult areas that we're trying to tackle in upcoming releases.

As or the header - we can pass the information along to the header team, but this is out of our area of control.   We can only adopt it as is.
    Jason Garza, Program Manager
    Monday, August 11, 2008 8:28 PM
  • Here is what I would like to see:
    • Support for the iPhone
      • Either as an app or through the website, though an app would be nicer.
    • A way to indicate if an article has been read or not that persists through sessions on different machines. (Like on Netvibes)
    • I would love to see ebay, facebook, word, excel, and outlook gadgets.
    • You used to have all the Microsoft designed gadgets in the add stuff menu, now I have to find some of them in the gallery. The gallery is slowly becoming a composite list of ____ which is really irritating to search through. I don't know how you guys can allow gadgets that constantly crash or are just simply links to people's homepages.
    • You should be able to integrate favorites.live.com with IE/Firefox/Safari's bookmarks. (Like foxmarks)
    • I would like to be able to add horizontal dividers.
    • There is some weird caching issue where the pages overlap when you click on the new tab. (I've seen this reported elsewhere)
    • I would like to see more colours. (Am I sounding high maintenance now?)
    • Now to sound like Mr. Wilson... why customize instead of edit? customize takes up too much realestate. Really it should be options because refresh isn't a customization or an edit.
    • Access to Canadians.
    Just because I don't want to sound completely negative...
    Here are some things you're doing I really like.
    • The look and feel is sharper and more professional than any other personalized homepage.
    • The browsing has become much, much faster.
    • You now support FF 3.0 (Hoo Ray!)
    • I like coming back to the tab I was on when firefox crashes.
    • The logon is now persistent. (This has been the most important feature released to date)
    • I like the image previews and I love how perveiwing works. (IE: Click the link to open the page, click more for some more detail, read all to see everything, the title for the xml/homepage  I hate having to click twice like I have to in netvibes or in reader.mac.com)
      • Please don't change how this works.
    • The add stuff works great except for some of the gadgets. (see above)
    • You have some top notch gadgets. (I really like the stock and weather gadgets)
    • I appreciate you actually responding to my feedback.
    Cheers!

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:34 PM
  •  Hey Xhaust,

Thanks for the positive reviews and the awesome list of suggestions!

Support for the iPhone has been one of the most requested features, we'll have to investigate that and see what's possible and what makes the most sense for users.  We're also looking at ideas to improve the content selection and filtering in Add Content.

Related to the caching issue, we have a bug open and are investigating the root cause.  Until a fix is in place, there is a work around available here:  http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en/MyLiveCom/thread/47d961d9-0e00-4335-82aa-adec7e071926.

The change to Customize from Edit was based on a usability study. It was one of the more interesting take aways since we had also thought Edit was just fine. 

One questions for you:

1.  When you say you'd like to see "horizontal dividers", do you mean plain horizontal lines on the page, something similar to the Freeze Pane feature on Excel, or the ability to view content on two pages at once?

Jason Garza, Program Manager
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:56 PM
  • Answer to your question:

Freeze panes would be pretty neat. However, I was thinking more along the lines of a horizontal bar to separate articles. For instance, if you had a tab called news you may want each column to represent a category, like sports, health, business, and then you could separate the feeds by reuters, cnn, cbc etc. You could even put a name on top of the bar to title it, like say reuters. It would just be yet another way to organize feeds. However I don't know if everyone else is quite the organizational freak I am.
    As an alternative you could just add a way of paging through a tab that has a tonne of feeds. (For instance hit "Next for Sports")

This would also work better if say you have a tonne of webcomics you check.

Additional note:

Also, with an iphone app, I would like to be welcomed with an index of tabs. After selecting a tab I would like to finger slide left or right to view my other columns and down and up to scroll through columsn. (That'd be very slick)

Check out Stanza for probably the most organized reading app there is for the iPhone.

Just to let you know all the rss readers on the iphone suck so there is some real opportunity there.
    Though I suppose google reader is OK, but really 5 steps to rename a folder? Ridiculous!

Cheers!

Monday, August 18, 2008 5:27 PM