SQl Reporting Services on crm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have CRM 4.0 on prmise and has SQl Reporting services on it. If we need to set it up in another office in a different state What should we do. Is there any web site or steps that I need to follow.

Thanks,
    Hanoi

Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Well, you could configure CRM to use an Internet Facing Deployment to make CRM available to the outside world.  Or, you could use a site-to-site VPN to allow remote access to central servers.  If you have an Enterprise version of CRM, you could setup a local installation of the CRM application server, but it would still require access to the principle database server (conceivably over a VPN), however, it would reduce the amount of data transfer between the sites providing a "snappier" response to CRM at the remote office.

It's generally a good idea to use the SSRS Connector on your CRM server, which when coupled with IFD would make global access to CRM and SSRS easy to deploy and manage.  Otherwise, you will spend more in software, licensing, and infrastructure to configure replication of services between sites.  Your business requirements and budget may dictate which path you take.

Dave Berry
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:56 PM
  • Well, you could configure CRM to use an Internet Facing Deployment to make CRM available to the outside world.  Or, you could use a site-to-site VPN to allow remote access to central servers.  If you have an Enterprise version of CRM, you could setup a local installation of the CRM application server, but it would still require access to the principle database server (conceivably over a VPN), however, it would reduce the amount of data transfer between the sites providing a "snappier" response to CRM at the remote office.

It's generally a good idea to use the SSRS Connector on your CRM server, which when coupled with IFD would make global access to CRM and SSRS easy to deploy and manage.  Otherwise, you will spend more in software, licensing, and infrastructure to configure replication of services between sites.  Your business requirements and budget may dictate which path you take.

Dave Berry

Two questions:
    "Snappier" than what?

You say "SSRS Connector on your CRM server", which I thought was the case, but I just had a Microsoft supporter tell me the connector goes on the SQL Server server.  Which is it?  I remember reading one connector per _, but I can't remember per SQL Server server or per CRM server.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:48 PM
  • The Connector needs to be installed on the CRM platform server, which may not necessarily be the SQL server itself.  It simply acts as a proxy to SSRS from the Platform server.  In an Enterprise deployment of CRM, the Connector is not installed on the satellite CRM App servers.  Of course, if you're working from a Standard deployment of CRM, the CRM platform and application servers are identical.

Now, when I meant "snappier", I meant that with multiple CRM App servers in an Enterprise deployment, each server only needs to communicate back to the CRM Platform server using SOAP calls, which is requires dramatically lower bandwidth than serving the entire application.  All of the remaining web-stuff, like images, scripting, HTML, comes from the local CRM App server.
    Dave Berry
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:30 PM
  • This KB article may offer clarification on how to install SSRS Connectors on machines without a local SSRS service:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947060/en-us
    Dave Berry
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:43 PM