locked
Accepted now can't get box to work :( RRS feed

  • Question

  • Finally got accepted to WHS and now I can't get the box to work.  I think it's a motherboard/memory problem, but I can't work on it again until next weekend.  I'm really excited about this beta so I hope I can get it to work.  The motherboard was a MSI K8T Neo, I also have a K8N Neo3 that I will try next weekend.  If that doesn't work I probably won't be able to participate :(
    Monday, March 5, 2007 6:43 PM

All replies

  • You'll need to be more specific in the problems that you are having.  Do you get to an install screen for WHS?  Does the DVD not boot?  Do you have driver issues?  We need more info to help troubleshoot the problem ...

    - Jim
    Monday, March 5, 2007 6:48 PM
  •  WilsonW wrote:
    Finally got accepted to WHS and now I can't get the box to work.  I think it's a motherboard/memory problem, but I can't work on it again until next weekend.  I'm really excited about this beta so I hope I can get it to work.  The motherboard was a MSI K8T Neo, I also have a K8N Neo3 that I will try next weekend.  If that doesn't work I probably won't be able to participate :(

    Try their driver page, that board should work fine with WHS. Verify your version first. Please post specific errors and what kind of memory you're using etc...

    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=496&kind=1

    Monday, March 5, 2007 7:13 PM
  • If you have driver problems: try the official Nvidia chipset drivers (for Windows XP) (K8N Neo3)/try the official VIA chipset drivers (for Windows XP) (K8T NEO)

    If you can't boot from the DVD: update your BIOS or change the DVD drive

    Since you're talking about a pssible memory/motherboard problem, this could be a stability problem not related to WHS, does Windows XP or any other operating system work stable?

     

    Monday, March 5, 2007 8:49 PM
  • It's not WHS that won't work it's something between the board, processor and memory.  I did see somebody else have problems with OCZ memory and this board so that might be it.  At any rate, trying to get the processor apart from the cooler with the artic silver (stuff is like glue) I now have bent pins on the CPU.
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 10:37 PM
  • Had another cpu and have WHS installing now.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 4:57 PM
  •  WilsonW wrote:
    At any rate, trying to get the processor apart from the cooler with the artic silver (stuff is like glue) I now have bent pins on the CPU.

    Ouch, I'm hope that it wasn't any thing good for the processer. And with the pins now being bent, I would stay away from using it since it can, and most likely will cause issues now when running. Not to minchin that you could run the chance of killing the mother board that its on. And other hardware that's hooked up.

    Friday, March 9, 2007 5:19 PM
  • bent pins don't do anything as long as they're not borken off. Please try to bent them slowly in the right position and place the CPU safely on the socket. The CPU should work without problems. (my own experience)
    Friday, March 9, 2007 5:23 PM
  • Not to shoot down what you said, and done. But with bent pins you will run into heating issues since the pins are set up to disperse heat with the way there maid(undamaged). Even if you bend the pin(s) back to the CPU will fit on the motherboard, you will run into major hearting issues unless you have a REALLY good cooling system. Also with bent pins being bent back into a some what ok state, you can run into issues with the system not being able to use the CPU since there might be communication issues as well. And this can also lead to the system shorting out aswell, with the pins not connecting as there ment to.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 5:56 PM
  •  White Dragon wrote:
    Not to shoot down what you said, and done. But with bent pins you will run into heating issues since the pins are set up to disperse heat with the way there maid(undamaged). Even if you bend the pin(s) back to the CPU will fit on the motherboard, you will run into major hearting issues unless you have a REALLY good cooling system. Also with bent pins being bent back into a some what ok state, you can run into issues with the system not being able to use the CPU since there might be communication issues as well. And this can also lead to the system shorting out aswell, with the pins not connecting as there ment to.

    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound attacking.

    @ thread starter: I would try it and check if you run into issues or not, maybe you're lucky. 

    Friday, March 9, 2007 6:01 PM