Network Adapter for WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I installed WHS on a new Compaq Presario 5601P which has a nVIDIA nForce 10/100 MBps Ethernet port integrated into the mother board.  Before installing WHS, the network connection worked fine on the Presario while it was running MS Vista and the NVIDIA network adapter showed up under the device manager list as usual.  However, under WHS, there is no network adapter listed and I have no network function (no IP address, not nothing). At the end of the WHS install, a message did indicate I still needed to install a network driver.  But the problem seems worse than that as WHS doesn’t see the NVIDIA network adapter for which I might install a driver.  I copied the NVIDIA drivers from the Vista install. I've tried adding a new network connection and adding a network adapter under add new hardware.  Neither approach worked. 

While I believe I have or can get the appropriate nVIDIA driver files, it's not clear to me how I go about adding the network adapter to WHS in order to then install the drivers for it.  That is, how do I get WHS to recognize the integrated network hardware on my Presario?  I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide.  Thanks.

Dave

Saturday, January 3, 2009 4:25 AM

Answers

• I just installed an older (v8.26, Jan 07) WinXP driver and that now seems to be working.  Thanks again for the help guys!

Dave
    • Marked as answer by Dave Gibson Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:30 PM
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:27 PM

All replies

• Dave, I would try to get the windows server 2003 version of the driver.  From my understanding the WHS is based on 2003.
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 5:04 AM
  • Dave, you can't use Vista drivers.

Unfortunately nVidia has dropped support for Windows Server 2003 in their driver packages.
    The best you can try is the XP driver package. Go to the nVidia website and download the Xp driver matching your chipset.

Regards
    Martin
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 11:35 AM
  • If all else fails, go grab a Network card, disable the onboard nic and boot up with the new card.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 2:21 PM
  •   Thanks for the help Martin.  I found the appropriate XP nvidia driver (nForce 430) and installed it.  Now the nvidia adapter shows up propoerly and WHS reports the device as working properly.  However, WHS repeately reports that a network cable is unplugged and no lights are flashing on the back of my RJ-45 port.  I've hard booted several times and my network cable is indeed plugged in.  Do you know if this is a likely symptom of the XP driver not quite being right for WHS?  Can you think of anything else I could try with this XP driver?

Dave
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 4:54 PM
  • Thank cpucandy.  I'm beginning to think this may be my only option (or forget about WHS).  Should any eithernet card I can plug into my Presario PC work with WHS, or do I have to be careful which card I select?

Dave
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 4:56 PM
  • I wouldn't forget about WHS.  You need to get an Ethernet card that is Windows Server 2003 compatible and is compatible with your slots in  the computer (PCI, PCI Express, etc..).  I generally stick with Intel, 3Com, etc.. (Name brands).  Not sure where you are from, but I have been using "Intel Pro/1000 GT Desktop Adapter" ethernet cards purchased through tiger direct.  Recognized right out of the box.  Just be sure whatever card you get to go to their support site to update it with the most recent drivers.
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 5:02 PM
  • I just installed an older (v8.26, Jan 07) WinXP driver and that now seems to be working.  Thanks again for the help guys!

Dave
    • Marked as answer by Dave Gibson Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:30 PM
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:27 PM