Only 1 page is indexed and keywords don't work, Why? RRS feed

• Question

• My site http://www.colletticook.com has only one page indexed and when you enter in a keyword, for example, "westchester dentist" or "mahopac dentist", it does not trigger my site to appear. I am in the top 10 on Google and Yahoo! but nothing on MSN. Anyone know why? 

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 2:26 PM

Answers

• Compudds,

Using Firefox, it looks like there are some architecture (layout) problems on a few of your pages which might be the reason they aren't getting indexed. Fixing these problems will probably help your site ranking as well.

Thanks,

Brett

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:16 PM

All replies

• Several of us are experiencing the only 1 page indexed problem; hopefully someday Jeremiah will chime in about this.

For some reason, they implemented the keywords search on the webmaster tools as a phrased ("") search, rather than an AND search, so whatever you type in there will only show up if the keywords are indexed in that exact order.

But after doing a few searches on Live, I see you are talking about actual Live searches, which don't seem to return your one indexed page, in the unpaid listings, for any relevant keywords.  I am taking a total stab in the dark, but I wonder if they are removing results that are showing in the paid results, from the unpaid results.  In other words, maybe since you are showing up in sponsored sites, you are not showing up for both?  It looks like that behavior is working fine for other sites though, so that's probably not it.

Sorry, I have been no help whatsoever.  Sad

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:55 PM
  • Thanks for trying and spending the time to check out the problem.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:06 PM
  • For me the issue was:

My sitemap was declared as being UTF-8

Code Snippet

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

The file however, was not actually saved as utf-8, and/or had funky line endings.

Much thanks to PromoManagers.com for catching the bug.

However, in my case, keywords did work for the one page , so you might be experiencing a different issue.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Im having the same issues with my site.
    My site is http://www.lavorazioneincuoio.it
    and sitemap is
    http://www.lavorazioneincuoio.it/sitemap_27_02_08.xml

Thanks
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:29 AM
  • Having the exact same issue.  www.usefulconcept.com
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:32 PM
  •  

How new or old our the sites?  Being able to find it through site:xxxxxxx was pretty much what we went through for a few months.  The XML information given by UZE is one place to look, other than that it's a matter of building links and perhaps a period of time.  There's always talk of a sand box effect, but really the only ones that will know are Jeremiah and company.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:23 PM
  • Hi Compudds,

Currently your site rank is fairly low. My suggestion is to review our earlier blog post: I'm not ranking in Live Search, what can I do? 

A few things that might help: build quality backlinks with other reputable sites such as professional organizations, produce quality content (don't need a lot, just a few quality pieces), get listed in business directories such as Live's local business directory . All of these things help your site achieve a higher rank.

Brett 

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 7:08 PM
  • Compudds,

Using Firefox, it looks like there are some architecture (layout) problems on a few of your pages which might be the reason they aren't getting indexed. Fixing these problems will probably help your site ranking as well.

Thanks,

Brett

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:16 PM