Notes control throws InvalidCastException "Specified cast is not valid." RRS feed

• Question

• Here a good one I haven't seen before. New installation of CRM 4.0, Window 2008. Can't open any record forms for entities that use notes (which means most entities in this system). When you do, the notes control throws the below exception. I suspect it is a corrupt install, so I will try repairing. This is a test environment, so it's not critical. Curious is anyone else has seen this. If the repair fixes the issue, I'll post back here.

Event code: 3005

Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.

Event time: 7/28/2010 10:14:08 AM

Event time (UTC): 7/28/2010 5:14:08 PM

Event ID: f542f77bcccc480683d4b772e21f82da

Event sequence: 70

Event occurrence: 6

Event detail code: 0

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/2/ROOT-2-129248106780208669

Trust level: Full

Application Virtual Path: /

Application Path: c:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\CRMWeb\

Machine name: CRMTEST-APP1

Process information:

Process ID: 5928

Process name: w3wp.exe

Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:

Exception type: InvalidCastException

Exception message: Specified cast is not valid.

Request information:

Request URL: http://REDACTED:5555/PPAAdvisors/sfa/accts/edit.aspx?id={02E23048-275A-DF11-A230-001D0967EFC0}

Request path: /REDACTED/sfa/accts/edit.aspx

User host address: REDACTED

User: REDACTED

Is authenticated: True

Authentication Type: Negotiate

Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:

Thread ID: 4

Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Is impersonating: False

Stack trace:    at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.NotesControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter htmlWriter)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Components.UI.CrmUIControlBase.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Forms.FormCell.Render(HtmlTextWriter output)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Components.UI.CrmUIControlBase.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Forms.FormRow.Render(HtmlTextWriter output)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Forms.FormSection.Render(HtmlTextWriter output)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Forms.FormTab.Render(HtmlTextWriter output)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Forms.FormBody.Render(HtmlTextWriter output)

at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)

at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)

at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlTableRow.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlTable.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Forms.CustomizableForm.Render(HtmlTextWriter output)

at ASP.REDACTED_sfa_accts_edit_aspx.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer)

at System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Custom event details:

Phil Edry – Altriva Solutions – http://www.altriva.com/AltrivaBlog.aspx
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:33 PM

Answers

• Alright we're in business. Did a full uninstall and reinstall, this time without the config file installation. After the installation everything worked fine. Then to mimic production, out IT guy installed rollup 7, and then planned to install rollup 11. When he installed rollup 7, the notes control broke again! He then uninstalled rollup 7 and the notes control was still broken. So, he had to do a full uninstall again, reinstalled, skipped rollup 7 and went straight to rollup 11 and now everything is working.

We still don't have the deployment sdk role working on another machine since we didn't do a config file install, so our environment doesn't mimic produciton as fully as I'd like. This will keep us going for now.

• Marked as answer by Phil Edry Friday, July 30, 2010 3:45 PM
    Friday, July 30, 2010 3:44 PM

All replies

• Repair didn't help. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that this is a SPLA hoster and the initial installation was done with a config file. Will post solution when we find it.

Curiously, if I just try to run the install setup to do a repair, the setup immediately crashes. To do the repair, I had to go you programs and features in the control panel and point the repair wizard to the installation bits. I wonder if the iso is corrupt.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:59 PM
  • Alright we're in business. Did a full uninstall and reinstall, this time without the config file installation. After the installation everything worked fine. Then to mimic production, out IT guy installed rollup 7, and then planned to install rollup 11. When he installed rollup 7, the notes control broke again! He then uninstalled rollup 7 and the notes control was still broken. So, he had to do a full uninstall again, reinstalled, skipped rollup 7 and went straight to rollup 11 and now everything is working.

We still don't have the deployment sdk role working on another machine since we didn't do a config file install, so our environment doesn't mimic produciton as fully as I'd like. This will keep us going for now.

• Marked as answer by Phil Edry Friday, July 30, 2010 3:45 PM
    Friday, July 30, 2010 3:44 PM