Can't reboot after installing Windows Genuine RRS feed

• Question

• Just bought WGA and ran as per instructions in the leaflet enclosed with the CD.  When rebooting, however, the computer just hanged on the Windows screen.  The progress bar stopped a third way in.  Waited for quite a bit, then switched on and off a couple of times - with and without the CD - still hangs at the same point.

Can't get to anything now.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 8:37 PM

Answers

• Richard:

If you get stuck even loading the operating system, then there is probably something corrupt in your hard-drive. If safe-mode does not even work, the issue is not WGA related. The WGA Notifications program doesn't do anything in safe-mode and definitely points to a corrupt file that is required by the Windows Operating System to boot up.

I'm afraid you'll have to do a clean installation (which requires a format). I would recommend possibly backing up your hard-drive (if possible) so you can at least keep your personal files available.

-phil

Thursday, January 4, 2007 8:02 PM

All replies

• Richard:

Is the system able to boot into Windows at all? Or does it get stuck loading the OS?

Have you tried a clean reinstallation (rather than an upgrade installation)?

-phil

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 2:55 AM
  • Hi Phil,

Getting stuck at loading the OS.  Managed to get to  and select the Safe Mode option but the PC gets stuck as the lines of text fill the screen.

Re: clean installation, I haven't tried this.  How does it work?

Thanks.

Thursday, January 4, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Thursday, January 4, 2007 7:19 PM
  • Richard:

If you get stuck even loading the operating system, then there is probably something corrupt in your hard-drive. If safe-mode does not even work, the issue is not WGA related. The WGA Notifications program doesn't do anything in safe-mode and definitely points to a corrupt file that is required by the Windows Operating System to boot up.

I'm afraid you'll have to do a clean installation (which requires a format). I would recommend possibly backing up your hard-drive (if possible) so you can at least keep your personal files available.

-phil

Thursday, January 4, 2007 8:02 PM
  • Thanks, Carey. 

May need to resort to that.

Richard

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 7:20 PM
  • Thanks, Phil.

I could reboot OK before I installed the WGA.  Looks like it has picked up something but what a nuisance it has caused!  May need to get someone in to have a look at it.  I am not really a wizzkid on this.

Richard

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 7:26 PM