none
change of career RRS feed

• Question

• H

Presently I am working in Quality Assurance. I am looking to change my career. Can someone give some advice on what are the options I have.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:02 AM

Answers

• If you're looking to change gears within the IT eco-system, I'd say that you can try to get promoted into project management and possibly probe into design & architecture related positions.   You're probably ripe to make a switch into Technical Writing and possibly even system administration.  However, depending on your personality and expertise with the overall workflow narratives in your place of employment your best source of advice would come from your colleagues (who should probably give it to you straight based on their personal experience with you and your work).

Hope this helped.

Regards,

Faisal

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:08 AM

All replies

• So what do you want to be? A butcher, a baker, a candle stick maker?

How about you provide us with a little more information as there are an awful lot of career paths out there.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:18 AM
  • Jeff,

Can you get certifed in candle stick making? I'm interested ;-)

Maurice
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Not sure.  Maybe these people will know http://www.candles.org/index.html :-)
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:25 AM
  • If you're looking to change gears within the IT eco-system, I'd say that you can try to get promoted into project management and possibly probe into design & architecture related positions.   You're probably ripe to make a switch into Technical Writing and possibly even system administration.  However, depending on your personality and expertise with the overall workflow narratives in your place of employment your best source of advice would come from your colleagues (who should probably give it to you straight based on their personal experience with you and your work).

Hope this helped.

Regards,

Faisal

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:08 AM
  • Thanks for the response. During my QA stint I have been using SQL Server extensively. In one of the ogranisation I was entrusted to create manual ETL process to migrate data from a legacy system to SQL 2005. To meet the objective I had o write store procedure which involved cursor programs to read each record and process them base on the business rules. I had to automate it using SQL server 2005 integration services. I did all these without any training. So it looks like I am more ease with database programming as compared to the coding of application. Saying that if I do certification in SQL Server 2008, I am bit worried about the salary I am going to get.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:31 AM