OGA assistance pls - cannot update windows RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot update my windows.  Says I am not an admin.  I am.  Have gone through all of the "fix it" suggestions in knowledge base & help and support.  have tried just about everything I can find, but i am tired of trying things that aren't helping! searched my %systemroot%\WindowsUpdate.log file, error 0x8007005, so I got diagnostic tool.  says error in the report.  see highlighted section.  how can i validate?!  my software is only on this comp-got from b&h video who i bought comp from. 

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-KX9HW-YM6W9-XHR2G
    Windows Product Key Hash: 8a+5HJJ0ZwuZ7+2DOTFIcn8INBM=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00110
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {FD5786BE-94B2-4786-9BFF-54C4080C44E0}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2993-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{FD5786BE-94B2-4786-9BFF-54C4080C44E0}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XHR2G</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2111907-00110</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2692740263-2745608008-3074175705</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Sony Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>VGN-FS830</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>R0090J1</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="34"/><Date>20051025000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Sony Corporation,Sony Corporation,Sony Corporation</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>B6123507018400D2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Sony Electronics Inc.</name><model>VAIO Computer</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91130409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>116</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>1EA866BEF0C784</Val><Hash>VNRtWrWGmdByEHTp7PbzFcByHgA=</Hash><Pid>73102-OEM-5696252-98862</Pid><PidType>5</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:39 AM

Answers

• Hello Julie,

Curious how many versions of Office and/or stand alone Office products are currently installed on your machine? Right now you have received an error code 116 for Office. The Office license you have installed does not match the Windows license type for this PC.   This may have happened if you have upgraded Windows since you purchased your PC. Below are steps you can take to make sure you have genuine software.

What can I do now?

• Contact your system administrator or reseller if you believe you have received this message in error. You can print a report to take with you when you visit or talk with your reseller.

• Purchase genuine Microsoft Office products. You can buy them from a trusted local reseller or through one of the online resellers listed on microsoft.com.

If you have any questions please post back :-).

Thank you Julie,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hello Julie,

Curious how many versions of Office and/or stand alone Office products are currently installed on your machine? Right now you have received an error code 116 for Office. The Office license you have installed does not match the Windows license type for this PC.   This may have happened if you have upgraded Windows since you purchased your PC. Below are steps you can take to make sure you have genuine software.

What can I do now?

• Contact your system administrator or reseller if you believe you have received this message in error. You can print a report to take with you when you visit or talk with your reseller.

• Purchase genuine Microsoft Office products. You can buy them from a trusted local reseller or through one of the online resellers listed on microsoft.com.

If you have any questions please post back :-).

Thank you Julie,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:17 PM
  • Thank you Stephen!
    This is the only office program i have on my computer.  My comp came with microsoft works installed, and there was a disc for a trial version of office 2003. i never installed it though because they were supposed to give me the full version.  we had a little battle over it, and we agreed on an OEM system builder pack basic office edition 2003.  it was sealed and everything.  no problems as far as i knew, and if i haven't been able to update since, i had no clue b/c i set my comp to update when i'm not using it.

i haven't upgraded windows since.  i had to send to sony once for repairs (would not turn on), but like i said, i don't know when it stopped updating.

Would my windows update if i uninstalled office? i'd rather just buy a new Office suite than deal with the customer service at my original supplier.  Customer service is NOT their strong point. 

Thanks again,

Julie
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:08 PM
  • Hey Julie,

Thanks again for posting back. I would like for you to try something but first let’s talk about the Office error code the MGA results provided us. Right now you have received an error code 116 for Office.  The error code means your Office License installed does not match the Windows license type for this type PC. In turn this may have happened if you have upgraded Windows since the PC was purchased. At this point Julie I would recommend you to contact Sony (or retailer purchased from) and let them know the problem. You should be provided with correct product and software for the system/operating system.

For now please remove MS Office through the add/remove programs feature located in the control panel. Next restart the computer and attempt validation by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/genuine and locate "Validate Windows" button. Click it and follow the guidance. Restart the computer and attempt to make updates. 

Should you continue experiencing complications I want you to review Knowledge Base (KB) article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 .  This will allow you to download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and explain detailed information. Use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and uninstall all Microsoft Office programs 2003 and below (NOT 2007 OFFICE) on your computer. Again please restart your system and attempt updating the system again. 

If you are still having issues, can you do the following?

1) Logon to the PC that is experiencing the notifications as a user with “ADMINISTRATOR” privileges.

2) Download the tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 click RUN.

3) When the tool loads, click “CONTINUE”.

4) Is the “RESOLVE” button available? If so, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool repair the issue.

5) From the Windows tab, click the COPY button.

6) Please reply back to this post and PASTE the entire results into reply of this post. 

We can take a look at it and offer you some suggestions as to how to resolve this issue. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, September 20, 2007 11:05 PM