My Very First Home Server RRS feed

All replies

• Looks fine if you're not transcoding. For transcoding, I would go to something a little more powerful than the Atom
    Friday, April 2, 2010 8:15 PM
  • I chose the Intel Atom D510 because of it's dual core processor and it's energy efficient compared to other lines of Intel processors.  You think there will be issues if I were transcoding with this motherboard/cpu combo?  Which processor would you recommend?  And how much more energy consumption should I expect to see if I go that route?  I'm planning to have this server on 24/7 and would like to put together something that would not consume too much power.  Thanks!

Friday, April 2, 2010 8:46 PM
  • I am looking at the same case, motherboard and Western Digital SATA green RS series drives in a different size  for substantially identical purposes.  Locally, electricity cost $0.25/KWH so 10 watts 24X7 costs $21.92 per year.  Stuff to think about.  Every drive eventually fails.  I will not pay for backup so I am going software raid 5 with 3X 2 Tb drives.  This allows capacity expansion without drive replacement.  I want to use the PCI slot for a (hardware assisted) tv encoder rather than an esata port.  Your drive capacity is already maxed out. 

What is your target streaming load?  Mine is trivial.  Read and write 2GB/hour is a total load of 1.11 Mb/sec which is nothing for the drives.  Add in some torrents and load or save an application or data file and the drive load remains irrelevant.  How many simultaneous users do you anticipate and are you fond of HD content.  My issue is that I can find no spec's for dual core atom software raid 5 capacity.  Even so, my trivial load makes this a non issue to me.

The word transcoding covers much ground.  I can copy individual chapters from a dvd which is technically transcoding using an Atom 330 and it works perfectly but you would not want to use the pc for anything else at the same time.  Best to schedule the job to run while you sleep or use a pc other than the server.

Why are you selecting DDR2 667 ram rather than DDR 800?

In this context, selection of an ATA 2.5 drive is definitely the way to go.  The SATA drives should idle at minimal power consumtion while you sleep as long as you put stuff in the right place.

Sunday, April 4, 2010 5:25 PM
    so I am going software raid 5 with 3X 2 Tb drives.

You shouldn't do this. Software RAID requires converting your disks to dynamic, and dynamic disks are known to cause serious problems ("data loss" serious) with Windows Home Server. Let your server manage it's own drives.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 5, 2010 2:21 AM
  • There will be about 5 simultaneous users and yes, I am fond of HD content.  I would say 95% of the time, DVD transcoding will be done on another pc and then copied to the server.  The primary purpose of this server is for storing files and streaming videos and music to my networked digital media receivers. 

I selected the DDR2 667 because I had a few lying around and didn't want to purchase additional RAM, but if it makes more sense to use DDR2 800 RAM, then I'll use those instead.

Monday, April 5, 2010 2:59 PM