none
Highpoint RocketRaid 454 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I currently have Freenas server running a rocketraid 454 card with 1.2TB raid5 array. This server run great but is very limited.

So I completed my Home Server box:

- 2Ghz P4 c;

- 768MB ram;

- Giga Bit ethernet;

- Asus P4b motherboard;

- 120GB, 2 * 320GB Hard Drives; and

- Asus V3800 AGP video.

Installed the software. Before it's headless, I powered done and installed just the rocketraid controller. WHS picked up the card asked for drivers. I pointed it to another PC on the network. The controller is installed and WHS is happy.

I put the controller back in the Freenas server, and now I have to start migrate the data. This will take some time.

At least I now know the controller will work with WHS and with WHS I have a serve that more functional than FreeNas.

So far, so good

tks

Vince

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:59 PM

All replies

• The RocketRaid card I have is a 404, which is the predecessor of your 454.  It works very well in WHS with a 5 drive array.  Apart from a fried power supply I'm happy with this setup.  I'm going to change it to a 6-drive 1.6TB array over the weekend and then copy everything back over
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:01 PM
  • Hi

Are you using it as a raid 5 array or letting WHS manage the drives by them selves?

Vince

Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:40 PM
  • I am (for the moment) uing the RAID array.  I was going to change this soon to see how WHS handles my particular suite of data, but the array works fine.  It shouldn't be necessary to enable folder duplication with WHS as the array is inherrently secure.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:55 PM
  • Hi

Don't bet on the array to be inherrently secure. I was using mine with Freenas and one HD went bad. Put a replacement in and tried to rebuild the array. Well Freenas is BSD based, with ext2/3 formated array. No raid management software, so I had to use the BIOS for rebuiding the array and it went downhill from there. I even tried to get the array working in a linux system, no luck as the Highpoint drivers for Linux are not upto date. I ended up loosing the array and data.

So this time I think I try WHS and let it manage the drives instead of a RAID array.

Vince

Thursday, February 22, 2007 2:28 PM
  • So does the WHS Install program recognize the Rocketraid454, or do drivers have to be loaded via F6 or after the install is done?

Thanks!

Friday, May 25, 2007 11:38 PM
  • There's a decent chance it will recognize individual drives if you don't have an array. If you set up an array, you will definitely need to load drivers, either at the F6 prompt or after the fact. I would recommend breaking your array (if you have one) and going without drivers. It's what I'm going to try this time around.
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 2:57 AM
  • WHS does not recognize the rocketraid454 on install.

You can load the drivers via F6 or after the install. I prefer after the install, so WHS does not see the extra drive and won't attempt to format them.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 10:42 AM
  • Hi Ken

WHS does not recognize the individual drives or an array. It's requires a driver from Highpoint to work with the hardware. I don't run an array on mine and I have ~3.6TB.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 10:48 AM
  • I decided to dump my Highpoint Rocket 100 and get either a Highpoint RocketRAID 454 or a Promise FastTrak SX4060.  Can anyone tell me which is better, and why?  Thanks.  Eric Lewis
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:36 AM
  • There are a number of differences between the 3 controllers:

Rocketraid 100

Rocketraid 454

Promise SX4060

Max Array Size

2TB

2TB

1TB

# Hard drives

Raid level

0, 1, 0+1, JBOD

0, 1, 5, 10 JBOD

0, 1, 5, 10, JBOD

integrated XOR engine for parity calculations

No

No

yes

Host swap/spare failed drives

Yes

yes

yes

On board memory

No

No

Yes

Array expansion

no

No

yes

It depends on what your looking for. I use the rocketraid 454 as just a IDE conrtoller and I can connect upto 8 hard drives of various sizes. So I'm not concerned about XOR engine, on board memory or array expansion. There is no need to run Raid 5 when using WHS. If your looking for drive expansion, you might want to consider just adding a SATA controller along with your Rocketraid 100.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 2:17 PM
  • Hi Vince: 

Thanks for the info, I was going to try to do a similar analysis this morning but here it is for me!  Also thanks for making clear what the XOR engine is for ... i.e. RAID calculations (which I don't need with WHS). 

I am using a $40 IBM NetVista 6841-VAU midi-tower: 100 MHz Pentium 3, 512 MB RAM, with floppy, CD, and 40 GB hard drive, a total of seven drive bays, ACPI full power support, Motherboard Wake On Lan support.  The onboard IDE is only UDMA 100 (I think)

My old card is the Rocket 100 (note not RocketRAID 100) and I am getting the impression that only cards that support RAID have Windows 2003 published support.   Many of my ATA hard drives are Maxtor with 133 UDMA so I am drawn to the RocketRAID 133 or the RocketRAID 454.  The Highpoint support web site text notes indicate that drivers for the Rocket 100/133 cards support Windows 2003 but this support is not listed on the Highpoint web site product specs. and from my own experience I would have to agree, due to actual hangs that require me to pull the plug ... literally ... to get the machine to unhang.

Note that $52.44 buys two 100 EIDE controllers, $77.47 buys two 133 EIDE contollers and $100.66 buys four 133 EIDE controllers.  Here is an IDE question:  do two extra controllers give $23.19 or 30% performance improvement over two controllers?  Or for that matter, is $25.03 ($77.47 - $52.44) or 48% more $$ worth the 33% performance improvement for 133 UDMA over 100 UDMA?  After all, there is only one bus.  Also, it does not appear possible to install the primary WHS drive on a Highpoint card as the drivers are best installed after WHS is up and running.  So the system volume is going to be limited to 100 UDMA.

Quick sample of price alternatives: (all including shipping)

RocketRAID 100  @ PriceGuideNetwork.com $52.44

RocketRAID 100  @ Mwave                          $55

RocketRAID 133  @ Mwave                          $77.47   

RocketRAID 133  @ AntOnline                      $80.28

RocketRAID 454  @ Mwave                          $100.66

RocketRAID 454  @ NewEgg                        $97.98

FastTrak SX4060 @ PCNation                       $101.45

FastTrak SX4060 @ Global Micro                 $102

FastTrak SX4060 @AntOnline                       $107.54

Eric Lewis

Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:47 PM
  • I have the rocketraid 404 with 8 x HDD, plus also 2 more on the motherboard ide controllers.

I would suggest the 454 setup without raid in JBOD format. The disks are all seperate of each other and can be removed and plugged into another system or bus with all data still intact. As soon as you run RAID 0 or 5 the actual format of the data will not allow for the disks to be moved if you have trouble.

I would also run the system disk off the motherboard directly and not the RR454, this will allow for the initial install to be completed and no data/drivers to be added. When ready add the drivers and go. For a reinstall or upgrade (RC1 to RTM) drivers need to be installed and F6 pressed on the second boot for data to be found and recovered by the server.

If you are worried about data loss, then make sure replication is used on all folders.

The performance hit on the server with RAID is large as the RAID parity calcs are done by the processor for the RR404 and RR454. The PCI bus also limits transfer rates when access to multiple disks is required. Running JBOD helped performance and PCI bus is the only resriction now. Main file tranfers to primary IDE are great and as fast as any normal transfer from PC to PC.

Performance and power usage of multiple PCI cards (not to mention cabling issues, round IDE cables a must) will be a problem, not to mention the fact monitoring and maintaining multi IDE cards will be a hassle. Label everything.

The RR464 has a XOR engine to speed up raid calcs. Also if data protection is critical for you consider buying 2 RR454's for redundancy.

Cheers

DB

Friday, July 13, 2007 3:18 AM
  • If your looking to add new hard drives get a SATA2 controller that supports 4 drives.  SATA HD's are starting to have a slightly lower cost than IDE and this will continue.

When I purchased  the RR454 I was using it in a freenas box as a raid 5 controller. I would like to migrate/replace the 250GB drives down to 4 drives on the controller. I think having all 6 HD's on one PCI channel is slowing down the server a bit, but I could be wrong. I'm not happy without a some hardware to play with....

Don't waist money on upgrading to a 133Mb IDE controller, you will notice no difference between a 100 or 133 controller or hard drive. As most hard drives except a WD raptor (10000rpm) come close to filling a 133Mb bus.

Vince

Friday, July 13, 2007 10:26 AM
  • Hi

But I think you are mistaken. The RR454 in JBOD will make an array that uses different size disks that are attached to the controller and you select for the array. If you wanrt to use as seperate HD's, then don't create an array, after the drivers are loaded, WHS will find 2 IDE controllers and your hard drives.

Vince

Friday, July 13, 2007 10:31 AM