Primary Partition Unhealthy! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, 

Last night I was unable to access my shares normally from my Vista PC, so I logged into my WHS and discovered an absolute disaster that seems to be unfolding.  

In short, my primary partition is marked as "Unhealthy" and when I try to repair it, a message pops up in WHS console saying an "Unexpected error has occurred with Storage Manager".  The console then crashes on me and I'm brought back to the desktop.  My shares have completely disappeared, and the WHS console reports I have file conflicts in all shares. When I go to My Computer to view D:\DE manually and see if I can quickly save some of my data, double clicking on D gives a message popup asking me if I want to format it!

When I boot into WHS, I'm given several error messages where a critical MS OS component seems to be crashing, an .exe related to Driver Extender Manager although I can't remember what it was called now.

I booted from my WHS DVD and see that I now have no 'Server Reinstallation' option either, just a 'New Installation' option.  Initially I wasn't too concerned but when I realised I can't physically get at my data to save it I'm getting very worried now.  

This seems to have happened after my WHS has updated and reboot itself last week.  I noticed several unexpected crashes, but rebooting seemed to sort it and when I logged back in there were no issues with the server.....until last night that is.

I have installed no new add-in's recently.  The only third party add-ins I run are uTorrent, PerfectDisk 10 (WHS Edition), Avast WHS and a process monitor app.  All of these apps have been installed and working as expected since day one.  My WHS was running Powerpack 1 at the time of the incident also, and was fully updated with MS Windows Updates. 

Would plugging my primary drive into my Vista PC enable me to access my data.  My total data is greater than 1Tb, probably close to 1.5-6Tb but if I can save the majority of it or a good portioin I would settle for that.

Any ideas?  Have I lost everything or can I recover my data?  When googling some of my symptoms I've yet to find anyone else who has experienced such an issue!

Server spec: Inter E2140 (Default clock), ASUS P5 motherboard, 2Gb Kingston PC6400 DDR2 RAM, 1TB WD Greenpower SATA Drive (Primary Drive), 2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 SATA drives.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    the FAQ How to recover data after server failure provides you the steps how to access your data.
    If you attach the disk to your Vista system, you also can try to run
    chkdsk /f /r to
    the system drive letter from here (in a command prompt started as Administrator), since it is more robust than the checkdisk in Windows Server 2003.
    For trying a server reinstall you will need to provide drivers (if the disks are not IDE disks or on a SATA controller configured to use IDE mode compatibility) and I would recommend to use a new disk for this attempt.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:24 PM