HP MediaSmart Server EX495:- Restore Back Up Stops At 81%, you need to format disk in drive Z before you can use it ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been looking for a fix for this for months. Just spent 2 days determined to get past this road block. Tried every suggested fix I could read about. Still at the same dead end. Can anyone help me get this server running again ? HP stopped for this supports this. 
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 12:03 AM

All replies

• Have you looked at this: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/785bc097-b7b0-4268-bd9f-cc802c5eb355/faq-backup-and-restore-trouble-shooting?forum=whsfaq

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:03 AM
  • Format requests  for the virtual Z: drive should always be rejected.

Did you apply all updates to Windows Home Server?

Current version numbers for WHS v. 1 (in Console under Settings/Resources):

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.3436.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.3039.0

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, June 23, 2014 9:47 AM
  • Hi Olaf, nice to hear from you.         Yes all updates are applied. & yes I reject request to format drive Z. I am going to give a history of what happen & what I have done up to this point.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:31 PM
  • Hi,

did you try from different machines to nullify potential issues with a certain network card/driver combination on the client?

Anything in the event log of the server?

If the currently stored backups are not critical to keep, you could also attempt to wipe the backup database (or to copy the files aside, just in case), start from the scratch and try accessing after first backup has been succeeded. Sometimes the easier way.

Olaf

Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:27 PM
  • Hey thanks for the advice,         Yes I tried to restore my 32 bit XP & my 64 bit win7 same issue with each.               I am going to take it apart, clean it out, reseat the memory in case of corruption. I have the data base backed up. Put it back together put in a new hard drive. Do a server recovery. I have a WD 2 TB Black SATA/64MB Cache MDL#: WD2002FAEX. It is new, but I did a simple basic NTFS format on it. I was going to restore the data base to it. but changed my mind. Will the server be able to reformat to FAT32 or what ever format it needs. I read some were, once the hard drive is formatted to NTFS it can't be changed back to FAT32. I am hoping I didn't screw up the drive. Maybe you could shed some light on this for me. I think the MSS uses FAT32 but I not positive.  Thanks Kevin

• Edited by Mr Hope Friday, June 27, 2014 8:45 AM
    Friday, June 27, 2014 8:38 AM
  • All Windows versions since Windows XP defaulted to NTFS - more robust and more secure than FAT32.

As for the restore - what you describe is the single file or folder restore, if you mount the backup from within an existing system. If you wish to restore a full OS, either use the Client Restore CD (can be downloaded from Microsoft) or the procedure outlined in the FAQ How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment.

As a last resort you could search for the tools referred in this thread.

Olaf

Friday, June 27, 2014 9:44 AM