Deleting DVR-MS recording on WHS - but not "deleted" in Media Center RRS feed

• Question

• I've been enjoying the new feature of PP2 of being able to have Recorded TV files stored on WHS to appear in the Media Center Recorded TV listing........until....

I did some tidying up of my WHS recordings and deleted a couple of movie files in the WHS Recorded TV files - however they still appear in the Media Center Recorded TV lisitng on my MC and XBOX360 extender which is very confusing - and it won't let me delete them in Media Center as it says "This recording has been moved or deleted by another application, or is marked read only and cannot be deleted' - so there is no option to delete it from the Redcorded TV listing which I need to do to clean up my listing

Where is Media Center storing this index information and how do I update it to delete these recordings listings?

I need help / advice on how to get rid of these listings - any suggestions?
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:09 PM

Answers

• Update:

I rebooted the Media Center PC and it resolved itself - guess it checks the index at that point and updates the listing

Still an interesting learning experience - I won't delete the actual files again from the shared drive - I'll always do it from witihn the Media Center Recorded TV listing

• Marked as answer by Bodog WGS Monday, April 13, 2009 4:11 AM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 4:11 AM

All replies

• I've been enjoying the new feature of PP2 of being able to have Recorded TV files stored on WHS to appear in the Media Center Recorded TV listing........until....

I did some tidying up of my WHS recordings and deleted a couple of movie files in the WHS Recorded TV files - however they still appear in the Media Center Recorded TV lisitng on my MC and XBOX360 extender which is very confusing - and it won't let me delete them in Media Center as it says "This recording has been moved or deleted by another application, or is marked read only and cannot be deleted' - so there is no option to delete it from the Redcorded TV listing which I need to do to clean up my listing

Where is Media Center storing this index information and how do I update it to delete these recordings listings?

I need help / advice on how to get rid of these listings - any suggestions?
    How did you delete them?  Do you see those files in the Recorded TV share from a client PC (through the normal network shares)?  If so, can you play them (again, through the network shares)?
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:51 PM
  • No - sadly (with hindsight) I deleted them from the WHS Recorded Share from a client PC as opposed to from within Media Center. As WHS has no Recycle Bin function when deleting from a client PC the files are gone.... yet they still appear in the Recorded TV index on my extender.

I don't want actually the files (which is why I deleted them) so I'm not interested in recovering them - I just want an accurate index on the Media Center and Extender

I wonder if I turned off Windows Media Access in the WHS console settings if that wouldn't force the Media Center to regenerate a new index? - once it has done that I could turn it back on and it would add the recorded TV again? - not game enough to try that - yet.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:55 PM
  • No - sadly (with hindsight) I deleted them from the WHS Recorded Share from a client PC as opposed to from within Media Center. As WHS has no Recycle Bin function when deleting from a client PC the files are gone.... yet they still appear in the Recorded TV index on my extender.

I don't want actually the files (which is why I deleted them) so I'm not interested in recovering them - I just want an accurate index on the Media Center and Extender

I wonder if I turned off Windows Media Access in the WHS console settings if that wouldn't force the Media Center to regenerate a new index? - once it has done that I could turn it back on and it would add the recorded TV again? - not game enough to try that - yet.
    Although I've only recently started using MC, I would assume that if you delete it from the share through a PC, it should be gone from MC as well.  Have you tried rebooting both client and server?  Perhaps that will refresh the index.  If not, you could try "tricking" MC by creating a file on your server with the exact same name as it was before, then deleting that file through MC.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 10:13 PM
  • Update:

I rebooted the Media Center PC and it resolved itself - guess it checks the index at that point and updates the listing

Still an interesting learning experience - I won't delete the actual files again from the shared drive - I'll always do it from witihn the Media Center Recorded TV listing

• Marked as answer by Bodog WGS Monday, April 13, 2009 4:11 AM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 4:11 AM