Second client computer does not appear in console list RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the WHS connector software on two computers.  The first computer went fine.  The name of the first computer appeared in the WHS console and I could back it up after specifying a list of excluded directories.  After installing the WHS connector on the second computer, the name of the second computer did not appear in the console list.  Clicking on the WHS try icon started a backup, but there is no indication of the backup in the console.  The second computer can access shared files, but the backup feature does not seem to work.
    Friday, April 6, 2007 7:54 PM

Answers

• The problem has been resolved by viewing the WHS console on the server.  I have been running the server as a "headless" server.  When I logged on to the server as administrator and viewed the WHS console, all computers showed as they should.  After that, client computers running the WHS console will also show the second computer in the backup list.  This looks like a problem with the intention of using "headless" servers with no keyboard or monitor.
    Sunday, April 8, 2007 12:27 AM
  • If you need to do something beyond using the client control panel you can use remote desktop to connect to your WHS. Aside from setup or some scary problem where your server "disappears", you shouldn't need to connect a keyboard or monitor.
    Sunday, April 8, 2007 3:24 AM

All replies

• 1. Did the Connector install on the second computer fail, for any reason?

2. What is the color of the tray icon on the second computer - is it gray (meaning cannot talk to server)?

3. You mentioned backup is going fine.. did it finish successfully? Did you try restarting the console (although this should not be required).

Friday, April 6, 2007 7:58 PM
  • I had to go into the the control panel, administrative tools, system and name retype the name of the computer and it's discription. I rralize that I should not need to do that, neverless, as a workaround, it worked.

Rufus Roper

Friday, April 6, 2007 9:21 PM
  • Thank you for the idea, unfortunately it did not have any impact on the problem.  When you go into the the computer name part of the control panel system, if you retype the computer name to the same thing, the OK button is disabled and only the cancel button works.  It obviously checks to see if you really did change the computer's name.

Ken Williams

Saturday, April 7, 2007 8:39 PM
  • 1. Did the Connector install on the second computer fail, for any reason?

The connector installation on the second computer appears to work just fine.  The WHS console is available as well as the shared directories folder.  Accessing the shared folders works correctly.

2. What is the color of the tray icon on the second computer - is it gray (meaning cannot talk to server)?

The icon is a happy green color.

3. You mentioned backup is going fine.. did it finish successfully? Did you try restarting the console (although this should not be required).

In an effort to resolve this problem, I right clicked on the WHS icon in the tray and selected Backup now.  It did appear to run a backup.  Mass storage was consumed on the server, but there appears to be no way to access it.

System notes:

The first computer was installed under the "administrator" userid running XP Pro.  The second computer runs XP Home and the userid was "Ken" which has administrator privileges.

Thanks for any help you might provide.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 8:45 PM
  • Try pressing F5, but probabbly rebooting the server will make it show up
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 11:19 PM
  • The problem has been resolved by viewing the WHS console on the server.  I have been running the server as a "headless" server.  When I logged on to the server as administrator and viewed the WHS console, all computers showed as they should.  After that, client computers running the WHS console will also show the second computer in the backup list.  This looks like a problem with the intention of using "headless" servers with no keyboard or monitor.
    Sunday, April 8, 2007 12:27 AM
  • If you need to do something beyond using the client control panel you can use remote desktop to connect to your WHS. Aside from setup or some scary problem where your server "disappears", you shouldn't need to connect a keyboard or monitor.
    Sunday, April 8, 2007 3:24 AM