Backing up to a sharedrive with authentication RRS feed

• General discussion

• I backup to a shared drive that requires a user id and password to access.  When I reboot my computer or disconnect the network I must re-enter the password to connect to the shared drive.  This is a problem for One-Care backups even though I have entered the correct credentials and checked the box to save the password.  It seems that One-Care does not re-member them so I must make sure I have connected to the drive before One-Care starts its backup.  This is very annoying any suggestions?  How can I get one-care to remember the user-id and password to connect to the shared drive?
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 12:57 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, the use of a Network Share in OneCare for backup typically requires that the Share be designated as open - meaning that *everyone* or *all users* have full rights to the Share and no special authentication is required. I'm actually glad that you are able to backup to the Share as many people have been reporting problems with backing up to Shares, particularly on NAS devices where authentication is required.

The issue of network backups is, in my opinion, an area of OneCare that needs lots of attention.

I'll leave the thread unanswered, as there is no good answer at this point other than your workaround.

-steve

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 1:36 PM
  • Thanks,
    I don't particularly want to leave my entire PC documents on an open share.  It kind of defeats the purpose of any security.
    Hopefully this issue will get some attention.

Ed
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 8:13 PM
  • You could create a Share on the drive as required by OneCare that is specific for OneCare backups. The actual backup files will then be protected, except from administrators who can change the permissions on the files, which OneCare "owns."

-steve

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:42 PM