locked
No password option when trying to Remote Access into Home Server RRS feed

  • Question

  • I searched, but couldn't find the exact problem. I have a new WHS build. It's using the exact same home network that a previous build had, and it worked flawlessly. When using the Remote Access feature, I click on Computers, then Connect to Home Server. A pop-up login window comes up, but the password field is blacked out. If I hit okay, it just returns to the same screen and does not open the console window. What could be going on here? This happens whether I am inside or outside of my network. For instance, if I go http://Home-Server, i get the Remote Access Welcome page. I login just fine to the Remote Access page, then click on Computers like mentioned above.

    I can remote desktop into the WHS just fine. Is there something out of sync with my user name / password and the WHS console admin stuff? I should add that this used to work fine, from the same client machines, with the same accounts.
    • Edited by bondisdead Friday, November 7, 2008 6:30 PM
    Friday, November 7, 2008 6:22 PM

All replies

  • bondisdead said:

    I searched, but couldn't find the exact problem. I have a new WHS build. It's using the exact same home network that a previous build had, and it worked flawlessly. When using the Remote Access feature, I click on Computers, then Connect to Home Server. A pop-up login window comes up, but the password field is blacked out. If I hit okay, it just returns to the same screen and does not open the console window. What could be going on here? This happens whether I am inside or outside of my network. For instance, if I go http://Home-Server, i get the Remote Access Welcome page. I login just fine to the Remote Access page, then click on Computers like mentioned above.

    I can remote desktop into the WHS just fine. Is there something out of sync with my user name / password and the WHS console admin stuff? I should add that this used to work fine, from the same client machines, with the same accounts.


    Blacked out?  Is it like that from inside and outside your LAN?  Any chance you could post a link to a pic of it?
    Friday, November 7, 2008 6:58 PM
    Moderator
  •  WOrks the same inside and outside of my network. You get the blue login screen, indicating Windows Home Server on the top, and OK and Cancel on the bottom. In the middle, where you normally get the white box for entering the admin password, it's a translucent blue, but no ability to enter something. It's as though it has some default password? However, if you click OK, the login box disappears and you're back to where you started. Is there a way to post an attachment, which contains the screen shot? I don't see a way. Don't have any hosting sites that I'm already set up for.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Hello,
    please check the time and time zone on the server. I found a report recently, that a time difference between client and server caused the same behavior (if I understood your description correctly) - the blue screen in the center is there, but no password field. (The default time zone after installation is Pacific time, which can lead to weird effects.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, November 7, 2008 7:54 PM
    Moderator
  • Olaf Engelke said:

    Hello,
    please check the time and time zone on the server. I found a report recently, that a time difference between client and server caused the same behavior (if I understood your description correctly) - the blue screen in the center is there, but no password field. (The default time zone after installation is Pacific time, which can lead to weird effects.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf



    That is very interesting. While they are in sync now, when I did the install, the clocks were about 12-hours ahead. I wonder if this messed things up? Maybe I'll wait a day until the install time is no longer in the future!
    Friday, November 7, 2008 8:06 PM
  • Above issue was the only time, in which I have seen a solution besides a server reinstall.
    You say the clocks where out of sync before? How did you change this - did you also correct the time zone or only modify the time manually?
    (If server and client are different time zones, but show the same time, they are now different in reality.)

    If this time difference is not the reason, I would be interested to figure out other potential reasons.
    So it could be, that IIS security settings are messed up. Did you install some software on the WHS, which alters the Internet Information Server?
    Can you find any messages in the event log of the server or in the IIS logfiles under C:\Windows\system32\Logfiles around the time of the tried connection?

    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

    Friday, November 7, 2008 9:44 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks for the response. I am at work now, and cannot look at the log files (because I cannot log into the server console!!). I did a fresh install on a new motherboard. Somehow windows time was different than it really was. Perhaps it got this from the motherboard, and it was programmed strange? After the install, I noticed that the time on the server was 12-hours ahead. I logged onto the server via RDP, then changed the clock to the correct time.

    I really have not installed anything on the server other than the necessary drivers (ASUS P5Q-E MB) and MyMovies Add-In.

    Of course, this maybe totally a goose chase, and the problem could be something else entirely! I'd rather not do another install...for obvious reason.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 11:58 PM
  • Hello,
    which time zone are you in? (Since you with no word tell, if you checked the time zone tab as well ...)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:19 AM
    Moderator
  • Olaf Engelke said:

    Hello,
    which time zone are you in? (Since you with no word tell, if you checked the time zone tab as well ...)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf



    I am in PST, here in California, USA. Daylight savings time just ended last week. Well, I guess I got lucky on my setup. Even though I made no changes, it suddenly started working! Perhaps my theory of letting the "adjusted" time catch-up with the "install" time worked! I don't recall making time zone changes, I just adjusted the clock.

    Thanks for the help. It's something to keep in mind for any future builds. Make sure the time that is set in the BIOS and elsewhere is "correct"!
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 1:54 PM
  • Windows Home Server installs, by default, configured for PST. However, if your motherboard clock was off, that would likely be the source of your original problem. 
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 2:55 PM
    Moderator