Live mesh and firewalls RRS feed

• Question

• How does live mesh bypass corporate firewalls?
    Monday, May 12, 2008 4:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Partha,

We are currently working on our Enterprise details, but for now we do have the following KB article available for Corporates:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951861

Thanks,

Ben.

Monday, May 12, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Hi,

A little more information on how Live Mesh handles firewalls:

1. Outbound connections use proxies, which are typically set up and administrated by corporate IT, so traffic obeys normal IT policies.
    2. Inbound connections are typically blocked by firewalls/NATs. We use a relay/rendezvous server to solve this problem. Both clients connect to a relay using outbound connections, so again the connection is subject to proxy policies.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, May 12, 2008 10:11 PM

All replies

• It doesn't on my company firewall. :-) The corporate firewall uses an authenticated proxy server here and I can go the Live Desktop just fine, but an installed client doesn't prompt for proxy authentication in order to make a connection to the Mesh. (So, the client sync does not work from behind the corporate firewall/proxy server)

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, May 12, 2008 5:56 PM
  • Yes - but how does that magic happen :-)
    Monday, May 12, 2008 6:59 PM
  • Hi Partha,

We are currently working on our Enterprise details, but for now we do have the following KB article available for Corporates:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951861

Thanks,

Ben.

Monday, May 12, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Hi,

A little more information on how Live Mesh handles firewalls:

1. Outbound connections use proxies, which are typically set up and administrated by corporate IT, so traffic obeys normal IT policies.
    2. Inbound connections are typically blocked by firewalls/NATs. We use a relay/rendezvous server to solve this problem. Both clients connect to a relay using outbound connections, so again the connection is subject to proxy policies.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, May 12, 2008 10:11 PM
  • I was not able to install Mesh while on the office network. I was able to do so while at home. When I came back to the office n/w the client works just fine and is syncing folders.

-jainnys
    Monday, August 4, 2008 2:20 PM