Server Reinstallation Not Offered RRS feed

• Question

• I had the message thread "Windows Home Server Could Not Start".  I started the install.  I had to load a SATA driver for the third drive.  It loaded and all drives were visable.  Next screen with Select an Installation Type only offers me New Installation so I have stopped there.  Now what?
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:59 AM

Answers

• RAW in this context is bad - this seems to show, that the DATA volume on the primary drive is unreadable. The good news is, that the other DATA disks seem still to be fine.
    Also the sequence is wrong now, but this could be fixed with changing the cable to port connection on the mainboard or eventually with changing settings in the Bios.
    I would recommend to put the old system disk onsite and replace it with a new disk. If you get this new disk as disk 0, and a server reinstall is offered, the most of your data should be included.
    If no server reinstall is offered, attach only the new disk and perform a new install.
    Apply all updates.
    Attach one of the data disks, login to the desktop of your server and use Explorer after toggle the Show hidden files and folders checkbox in the Explorer options to access the old data disk via its drive letter (which is not D:). In the folder DE\shares you find some or all  of the data or duplicated folders.
    Copy them to the new shared folders on your home server by using the shortcut Shared folders on server.
    Add the disk to the storage pool and do the same procedure with the other disk.
    You may try to add the old system disk as well to the storage pool, but before doing so check it carefully. Before adding this again to the storage pool you should reinitialize the disk as described here.
    Maybe you can read the DATA volume in another system.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:54 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    given, that there was not a little triangle icon near the New Installation allowing to select the wanted installation method:
    Did WHS detect the system disk as drive 0?
    Is it still configured as boot drive or did the Bios mess up? Is the Bios up to date?
    Could also be, that the disk is broken or the data on it that damaged, that the existing installation cannot be detected any more.
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:35 AM
  • No the drive listing is as follows:

Drive 0 has one volume 189GB NTFS named DATA

Drive 1 has two volumes 20GB NTFS named SYS and 169GB RAW

Drive 2 has one volume 698GB NTFS named DATA
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:12 PM
  • RAW in this context is bad - this seems to show, that the DATA volume on the primary drive is unreadable. The good news is, that the other DATA disks seem still to be fine.
    Also the sequence is wrong now, but this could be fixed with changing the cable to port connection on the mainboard or eventually with changing settings in the Bios.
    I would recommend to put the old system disk onsite and replace it with a new disk. If you get this new disk as disk 0, and a server reinstall is offered, the most of your data should be included.
    If no server reinstall is offered, attach only the new disk and perform a new install.
    Apply all updates.
    Attach one of the data disks, login to the desktop of your server and use Explorer after toggle the Show hidden files and folders checkbox in the Explorer options to access the old data disk via its drive letter (which is not D:). In the folder DE\shares you find some or all  of the data or duplicated folders.
    Copy them to the new shared folders on your home server by using the shortcut Shared folders on server.
    Add the disk to the storage pool and do the same procedure with the other disk.
    You may try to add the old system disk as well to the storage pool, but before doing so check it carefully. Before adding this again to the storage pool you should reinitialize the disk as described here.
    Maybe you can read the DATA volume in another system.

Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:54 PM