MS Money 2007 began crashing on openning usual MNY file RRS feed

• Question

• I know the Money project has already discontinued. But I'm still using MS Money 2007. One day I could not open the everyday file (~17 MB in size) with the following message (translated from Russian): "Instruction at address "0x00000000" tried to access memory at address "0x00000000". Memory cannot be read. OK - to terminate Cancel - to debug Then I created a new mny file and tried to Repair the wrong one using Standard (Level 2). It said: The utility could not repair your file. Repair a different version of your file, restore a backup file, or re-install Money. You should also make sure your file is not saved as read-only. The log file contains one line: "No broken records in the original file." So. First what I did, I re-installed Money. First Money 2007, then Money Sunset. At my computer, then another and one more else to be sure it has nothing to do with its config. I made sure the file is not read-only and not placed somewhere on the weird path. Config: Windows XP SP3, 2 GB of memory, 3 core AMD processor etc. Nothing has changed in the config in comparison to the day when the file opens. I don't know what to do else. I don't have a backup file and no chance to restore the data as it covers 3 years approx. Can anybody help please?
    • Edited by Andy Wiess Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:03 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:00 PM

All replies

• On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 12:00:10 +0000, Andy Wiess wrote:

>I know the Money project has already discontinued. But I'm still using MS Money 2007. One day I could not open the everyday file (~17 MB in size) with the following message (translated from Russian): "Instruction at address "0x00000000" tried to access memory at address "0x00000000". Memory cannot be read. OK - to terminate Cancel - to debug Then I created a new mny file and tried to Repair the wrong one using Standard (Level 2). It said: The utility could not repair your file. Repair a different version of your file, restore a backup file, or re-install Money. You should also make sure your file is not saved as read-only. The log file contains one line: "No broken records in the original file." So. First what I did, I re-installed Money. First Money 2007, then Money Sunset. At my computer, then another and one more else to be sure it has nothing to do with its config. I made sure the file is not read-only and not placed somewhere on the weird path. Config: Windows XP SP3, 2 GB of
    >memory, 3 core AMD processor etc. Nothing has changed in the config in comparison to the day when the file opens. I don't know what to do else. I don't have a backup file and no chance to restore the data as it covers 3 years approx. Can anybody help please?

I'm not sure if this is the problem, or if it will work in your version, but sometimes MS Money will crash if there is a problem with a module being displayed on the Home Page.  In my case, the problem had to do with the Investment Performance Module.

The fix:

Open a different .mny file.  For example, you should be able to find Sample.mny in your Money install folder; right-click on it and select Open.
    Then navigate to Tools/Settings/ProgramSettings and set the General Display/StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:Account List.

Close the sample.mny file.

Open and close your problem file once or twice (without navigating away from the Account List page) and make sure it works.
    Then, open your problem file and go to Tools / Settings / HomePageDisplayOptions and remove the Investment Performance Module.

If you still have crashing problems, remove everything.  If that works, you can start adding them back one at a time to see which is the culprit.

Ron
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:31 PM
  • Thank you, Ron. I will try it on my Money 2007 when back home tonight. Meanwhile I followed your advice with Money Sunset. As far as it uses different format, it comes to a file conversion procedure and stucks: "Money cannot locate 'D:\My.mny' file or cannot open it...." and so on. I do not copy the whole sentence as the message has been discussed many times here. I'm the owner of the My.mny file, as well as Administrator. The administrator group has full access to the file. It's not read-only. I have no idea why it could not be located or opened. Let's see what happen with my home installation.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:12 PM
  • Andy,

I would start by getting your file working OK in 2007 before trying to migrate it to Sunset.  And I'm guessing that your version of Money is Russian, you probably need to be sure you are using a compatible version of Sunset.  Cal Learner likely is knowledgeable about this issue.

Ron
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Yes, I will try to get it working with Money 2007 first. Just because the 2007 is home and the matter pressing... and a hope for miracle :)
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Hi Ron, sorry for the silence. I've got a flue, sitting home. Had a lot of time to test different starting pages. It loads now the "Account List" page only but still fails on My.mny I guess it has something to do with the data despite the log saying: no broken records. I guess it became inconsistent in some way: indexes, keys, whatever. Is any way to compact the file without opening? I doubt so. Anyway thanks for trying to help!
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Hi Ron, sorry for the silence. I've got a flue, sitting home. Had a lot of time to test different starting pages. It loads now the "Account List" page only but still fails on My.mny I guess it has something to do with the data despite the log saying: no broken records. I guess it became inconsistent in some way: indexes, keys, whatever. Is any way to compact the file without opening? I doubt so. Anyway thanks for trying to help!

Money 2007 now loads "Account List" page of what?

Copy sample.mny from your installation folder to your Documents folder, and see if you can successfully open and work with that file. If that works, the Money installation is probably OK. In that case, restoring your newest or second-newest *.mbf file will be your probable best hope. Do not restore to the saved filename, but instead Browse to your Documents folder during the restore and choose a new name.

Copy your current *.mny and *.mbf files to other media, in case something bad happens.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:56 PM
  • I'm glad Cal has jumped in; he has considerable experience in helping troubleshoot these kinds of problems.  I was only able to relate something from my own personal experience and I'm sorry it didn't help.  Hopefully, with Cal's help, you'll be up and running again.
    Ron
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 11:54 PM

• Money 2007 now loads "Account List" page of what?

The sample file.

Copy sample.mny from your installation folder to your Documents folder, and see if you can successfully open and work with that file. If that works, the Money installation is probably OK.

Right, it works without a hitch. The installation is OK.

In that case, restoring your newest or second-newest *.mbf file will be your probable best hope.

Here where the problem is. I don't have a backup. I could not imagine there is no way to repair corrupted file.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 8:49 AM
  • Things do not look good.

Here is something to try. Feed the output of a level 2 repair to a level 1 repair. Feed that to another level 2 repair. While worth a try, odds are against you.

I expect you have reviewed your need for a backup policy by now. Let's hope others learn from this. Default in Money 2007 is to keep 4 upon-exit backups. It also offers multiple scheduled backups which ideally would be onto other media.  Hard drives fail too. So take that into account. Copy what Money data files you have onto other media now.

I wonder if Sunriise would be useful in giving you some access at some point (search). It seems to be gaining features with time. It seems very unlikely that Money Plus Deluxe Sunset would be able to make sense of your file to convert it, but that also could be worth a try. If you get in on way or the other, you might want to File->Export a set of loose QIF files that could be used to create a new clean file.

Friday, October 7, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Re: sunriise

See if it can open your file. If yes, there is a coming up feature that might help: export all accounts to QIF.

One area I am working on sunriise is to be able able to do a full QIF (loose) export (all accounts at once). The core "objects" are there. I am able to show:

• List of accounts (both open, close): starting balance, running balance, ending balance; account type
    • Transactions per account: payee, category. If it is an investment txn or not (security, sell/buy, price)

It is matter of spitting out the correct QIF chunk now. I am planning to spend some times on it this week-end.

Friday, October 7, 2011 2:55 PM