Launchpad crash, now I can't reinstall it RRS feed

• Question

• Background: WHS 2011 machine with 3 clients, all Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. All three clients worked fine until yesterday evening.

Today morning, one of the clients would not start the launchpad: It crashes. The dashboard works and shows the client as offline. I then uninstalled the launchpad, rebooted and tried to reinstall it. It stops with an "unexpected error" shortly before the end (while connecting the client to the server).

As far as I can see, it crashes while running the "RunTask-AddScheduledTasks" installation job:

[2588] 120609.105121.9316: ClientSetup: ClientTasks::AddScheduledTasks exception [System.ArgumentException: Der Wert liegt außerhalb des erwarteten Bereichs.
       bei TaskSchedulerV2.ITaskFolder.DeleteTask(String Name, Int32 flags)
       bei Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.SchedulerVersion2.DeleteTask(String taskName)
       bei Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.Scheduler.RegisterTask(TaskDefinition definition, Boolean overwrite)
       bei Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ScheduledTasks.ClientTasks.AddScheduledTasks()]

There was another post about a corrupted task scheduler, but the scheduler as such runs fine on my machine.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong here?

Thanks! Martin

Saturday, June 9, 2012 9:13 AM

Answers

All replies

• Update: I restored to the last backup. Now the launchpad starts up, but the client can't connect. My two other clients are totally unaffected, they continue to work without issues.

The log file talks about a connection failure due to a socket timeout:

AsyncConnector: Connection failed: (CommunicationException) Die Socketverbindung wurde abgebrochen. Dies kann durch einen Fehler beim Verarbeiten der Nachricht, durch ein Ãœberschreiten des Empfangstimeouts durch den Remotehost oder durch eine Problem bei der zugrundeliegenden Netzwerkressource verursacht sein. Lokaler Sockettimeout: "00:00:59.9890000". ==> (IOException) Fehler bei Lesevorgang, siehe interne Ausnahme. ==> (CommunicationException) Die Socketverbindung wurde abgebrochen. Dies kann durch einen Fehler beim Verarbeiten der Nachricht, durch ein Ãœberschreiten des Empfangstimeouts durch den Remotehost oder durch eine Problem bei der zugrundeliegenden Netzwerkressource verursacht sein. Lokaler Sockettimeout: "00:00:59.9890000". ==> (SocketException) Eine vorhandene Verbindung wurde vom Remotehost geschlossen

Remote Desktop works, Dashboard works, and all shares work. It's just the launchpad (and along with it the backup) that does not work. Server and client side event logs show nothing special. Also, the WHS has no alerts open.

• Edited by Tinue Saturday, June 9, 2012 1:48 PM
    Saturday, June 9, 2012 1:45 PM
  • Hi, you can check if the following solution helps:

WHS 2011 client desktops can't connect 

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whssoftware/thread/a6d73b83-b087-402b-a835-89ccf0bf8cf0

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, June 15, 2012 5:09 AM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:07 AM
  • Hello, thanks for your suggestion. I could not try it: In the meantime, I again uninstalled the Launchpad (after my restore from backup), but this time I could reinstall it. After this it worked normally. The whole affair still leaves me uneasy:

1. Why did the launchpad start crashing?
    2. Why could I not reinstall it after this crash happened?
    3. After I restored a backup in which the launchpad worked (otherwise it would not have been able to backup in the first place), why does the launchpad not connect?

Three questions to which I will never know the answer, because I don't have the setup anymore...

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:51 AM