Internal DSL Modem, Good or Bad Idea RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to use a interanl DSL modem then use a DHCP Add-In to manage the router features for a home network?
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Brian,
    while it might be possible it cannot be recommended.
    Besides increased configuration efforts for a gateway PC you will have to consider, that you reduce the security level by directly expose a Windows machine to the Internet. Using Windows Home Server itself as router is also not a supported use.
    Current routers with a built in DSL modem are not that expensive any more and bring only benefits for you, like an additional, not Windows based firewall.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Brian,
    while it might be possible it cannot be recommended.
    Besides increased configuration efforts for a gateway PC you will have to consider, that you reduce the security level by directly expose a Windows machine to the Internet. Using Windows Home Server itself as router is also not a supported use.
    Current routers with a built in DSL modem are not that expensive any more and bring only benefits for you, like an additional, not Windows based firewall.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:27 PM
  • Thanks Olaf. I agree what you are saying. I would use the more advanced servers but I know nothing about AD or DC. That is one thing that I hope to see from MS in the future to be added to MHS.

I do know that the DHCP/router can be used. I have seen posts of add-ins for it on the forums. Just did not know if there was a software program or add-in for a firewall that will work with MHS.
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:53 PM
  • Brian Oliver II said:

Thanks Olaf. I agree what you are saying. I would use the more advanced servers but I know nothing about AD or DC. That is one thing that I hope to see from MS in the future to be added to MHS.

Never gonna happen.  That's what SBS is for.  Besides, WHS is designed to be easy to use.  Most users don't even know what Active Directory or a Domain Controller is.

Brian Oliver II said:

I do know that the DHCP/router can be used. I have seen posts of add-ins for it on the forums. Just did not know if there was a software program or add-in for a firewall that will work with MHS.

WHS already has a firewall.  The problem is that even with Windows Firewall in place, your idea is to place your computer directly on the internet (which, as Olaf already pointed out, creates an additional security risk).

Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:09 AM