"Product Activated" - what does it really mean ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been reading today about product keys and activation, but there is one basic thing that I'm not finding a clear statement on in the microsoft pages:

If an office program says "Product Activated" in the File / Help panel, does this mean that it's fully activated with a permanent key ?  Or would a product only in trial also show "Product Activated" ?

Thanks

Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:50 PM

Answers

•  I am now absolutely sure this retailer is not allowed to distribute downloadable Office and that the software they sold you is Non-genuine.

Background information:

There is a subscription based service that we offer to Developers called MSDN.  When they buy an MSDN subscription, they get access to most/all Microsoft software and product keys for that software. The main Licensing points for MSDN subscription software is a) the software can not be used in a Production environment (can only be used for testing) and b) the software can not be resold separate from the subscription (have to sell the full subscription as a whole).

Lately, we have found that scammers will buy a MSDN subscription (usually using a stolen Credit Card) then sell multiple copies of the same MSDN Windows 7 software/key (usually thru auction sites, but sometime thru retail websites). Before we caught on to what they were doing, many people got Non-Genuine software that would Activate without issue (like your Office has done) but would later Validate as Non-genuine.  My feeling is the scammers have just changed their tactic over to Office.

I recommend getting your money back if at all possible. If you payed with a Credit Card, contact your Credit Card company and have them do a Charge Back.  This will return the money back to your Credit Card account. If you payed with Paypal (or some other online pay service) contact them and open a dispute. If you payed by check (and it hasn't cleared yet) talk to your bank about the possibility of canceling the check.   As long as you didn't pay by cash or money order, you should have some avenue to possibly getting your money back.

Now this next part won't help you directly, but if you are willing, I would like to contact you directly so I can get the full Product key for that Office.  This will help me identify exactly what type of key it is.  This will then tell us what type of scam is being used (whether it be the MSDN scam or possibly some new scam we haven't seen before).  As I said, this won't get you your money back, but it will help us get these type of Product keys blocked more quickly and hopefully this will lead to less people effected by these types of scams.

Send the product key to wgatemp1 @ hotmail . com  <remove the spaces>

The reason I am asking you to send to a Hotmail account is because if I posted my personal Microsoft email, I would get a metric ton of spam and I don't want you to post your email address, for the same reason.  The hotmail address is is a temporary address that I can close once it gets too spammy.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, October 29, 2010 9:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 4, 2010 8:12 PM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 7:36 PM

All replies

• Hello 74bertone,

That's a good question, one that I don't think has been asked here before (but maybe on other forums?).

If you are asking because you want to know about this for an installation of Office that you have, the mgadiag utility will help you answer the question.

Download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Run" several times to download and start the Utility.  When asked, click the "Continue" button.  When the utility completes its run, click the "Copy" button, then come back here and paste the report into your post.

The Status code for a Trial is 102.

BTW, seeing your user id, do I know you under another user id at xwebforums.org? :-)

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:12 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Sorry, don't recognize xwebforums.org ;-)  Must be someone else with a similar taste in old cars ;-)

I tried the diagnostic tool but I read in another post that it hasn't been updated for 2010 yet.  I've pasted the output from the tool below anyhow.  I see that it's showing "109" in the office status. 

I'm just trying to be very sure about what I've been sold.  I guess I'm in a similar situation to this post (although it's for individual use): http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuineoffice/thread/b361fd4f-4313-4ffa-b68f-d2eada22c86a

In case anyone can make a categorical statement about the original question, it would also help clear my mind.

Thanks

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 0
    Cached Online Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-73CQT-WMF7J-3Q6C9
    Windows Product Key Hash: KaFG+RmurcM3ZxzWyfEP9WtPUJw=
    Windows Product ID: 00359-OEM-8992687-00010
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7600.2.00010300.0.0.003
    ID: {8996EA1E-C267-48BE-B38A-086AFDC17562}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows 7 Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{8996EA1E-C267-48BE-B38A-086AFDC17562}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.1.7600.2.00010300.0.0.003</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3Q6C9</PKey><PID>00359-OEM-8992687-00010</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-526591493-540646198-2865045655</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook PC</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.03</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="6"/><Date>20100402000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>69BA3607018400FC</HWID><UserLCID>0C0A</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0C0A</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Hora estándar romance(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>HPQOEM</OEMID><OEMTableID>SLIC-MPC</OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Versión del Servicio de licencias de software: 6.1.7600.16385

Nombre: Windows(R) 7, HomePremium edition
    Descripción: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_SLP channel
    Id. de activación: d2c04e90-c3dd-4260-b0f3-f845f5d27d64
    Id. de aplicación: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
    PID extendido: 00359-00178-926-800010-02-3082-7600.0000-1422010
    Id. de instalación: 018233974550694941622614784780873500946772260412556124
    URL del certificado de procesador: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338
    URL del certificado de maquina: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339
    URL de la licencia de uso: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341
    URL del certificado de clave de producto: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340
    Clave de producto parcial: 3Q6C9
    Estado de la licencia: con licencia
    Recuento de rearmado de Windows restante: 1
    Hora de confianza: 28/10/2010 17:22:49

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    HrOffline: 0x00000000
    HrOnline: 0x00000000
    HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000
    Event Time Stamp: 10:27:2010 20:26
    ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    HealthStatus Bitmask Output:

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: KgAAAAEAAQABAAEAAAABAAAAAQABAAEA6GG4kOQlSrxAw7TnDrUE2lxd

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20001
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC   HPQOEM  SLIC-MPC
      FACP   HP      SLIC-MPC
      HPET   HPQOEM  SLIC-MPC
      BOOT   HPQOEM  SLIC-MPC
      MCFG   HPQOEM  SLIC-MPC
      ASF!   HPQOEM  SLIC-MPC
      SLIC   HPQOEM  SLIC-MPC
      SSDT   TrmRef  PtidDevc
      SSDT   TrmRef  PtidDevc
      SSDT   TrmRef  PtidDevc
      SSDT   TrmRef  PtidDevc
      ASPT   HPQOEM  SLIC-MPC
      SSDT   TrmRef  PtidDevc

Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:41 PM
  • Hello 74bertone,

Yes, unfortunatey the mgadiag does not report on Office 2010.

If we knew your method of purchase we might be able to shed light on the question.  What edition of Office 2010 do you have?  Did you do a downloadable purchase (received the product key on a wesbite or in an email and the product was downloaded from a website), or a full packaged product purchase (received retail-packaged materials shipped to you)?  Did you purchase from a recognizable retailer or from a seller on eBay or Amazon Marketplace, or from a "no-name" website?

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Hi Dan,

It's Office 2010 Pro, bought from an internet retailer (not amazon or anything like that) in the UK.  I'm elsewhere in europe.

It was a download-only purchase, and the key was provided via an email.  The download was from microsoft pages, taking the trial version of office 2010 but plugging in the provided key instead of the trial key.  This is what prompted me to start investigating how this really works, as the procedure seemed curious.

The File / Help page does say "Product Activated", and office programs open and function beyond 25 times and things like this. 

The online retailer claims to be in business since 2004 and apparently has a branch in California also.  They sell software packages from a couple dozen companies, both downloads and full physical packaging - at least judging by their site.  So things seem above board at least superficially - it's really that I would like to confirm "independently" somehow that all is well with the key and activation.   That seems difficult though ;-)

///

Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Hello 74bertone,

As far as I know, there are only two places that are authorized by Microsoft to do a downloadable retail sale to average consumers:  Dell's online web store and Microsoft's online web store.

Your sales process sounds like a typical sale of pirated product keys.  The seller takes out a subscription to the Microsoft Developer Network, the Bizspark program, or the Action Pack program [all programs designed to supply discounted Microsoft products to industry personnel for development, sales, and training purproses], and receives retail product keys for various Microsoft products.  They then sell the product keys to unsuspecting consumers looking for a bargain via eBay, Amazon Marketplace, etc, or their own websites, and direct the consumers to legitimate download sources to get the actual installation files.  Sooner or later Microsoft's activation servers take note that a given product key that should have been activated x number of times has been activated x plus a bunch more times, so the product key is then flagged from further activation, and added to the bad key list that's periodically checked by the product's built-in software protection platform.

If the product is downloaded from Microsoft itself, the installed product is fine and does not have the risk associated with most pirated software that is distributed on file-share sites or via counterfeit physical installation discs.  Unfortunately, the product is still nongenuine due to the license being abused--the software licenses for all of the programs listed above specifically prohibit the subscribers from selling the product keys and/or the license.

If at all possible, I would encourage you to pursue a refund with the seller or via your payment system (PayPal, credit card, etc), or if the web site is located within your country, report it to local authorities.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:53 PM
  • Hi again,

I've been investigating the internet retailer in my case, by a lot of internet searching, checking, etc, and have come to the conclusion that it must be "shady", for various reasons.  No other conclusion is reasonable after my digging.

What can Microsoft offer in terms of clear statements about e.g. fraudulent licence keys ?  This may help me force a reversal of card charges via my bank.  What should one do in the case of suspected piracy ?

Regards

Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Hello 74bertone,

The problem is that Office 2010 is an animal different from Office XP, 2003 and 2007 with respect to validation.

Those previous Office versions can validate at www.microsoft.com/genuine, and the details of their data reported in the mgadiag report can help the MS staff and the volunteer helpers (like me, Noel, Carl, Carey, LVTravel, etc) on this site detect problems with an installed license that still technically passes validation but is not correct for the circumstances----for example when a person buys a copy of Office that turns out to be a Volume License whose product key is still good, but because they were sold a VL as an individual we know that it's a bad sale and thus nongenuine.

We have no such base of knowledge with Office 2010 because it does not validate at the website and is invisible to the mgadiag utility.

The only thing I can think of is to ask you to post your Office installation's Product ID (not product key).  The Product ID is a nonsensitive number that's generated at installation.  Part of the Product ID identifies the sales channel of the product.  As with Windows 7  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/a2444f34-0aff-4f29-a8ac-67e28b0c0285 , Microsoft's Moderator of this forum, Darin Smith, may be able to look up the Product ID to screen it for being from a non-consumer sales channel such as MSDN, Action Pack, etc.  If he can, and if it is, that is as close as you are going to get to a clear statement from Microsoft.

I do not have Office 2010 installed, so I do not know exactly where they put the product ID, but it's always been in the File>Help>About clickpath in most previous Office versions.  The Product ID is in this format 12345-123-1234567-12345 and the underlined portion denotes the sales channel ID (which can be numeric or can be "OEM" but in your case we would expect numeric).  It is not in the five by five format of the product key---do NOT post the product key.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks for both informative posts, it makes things clearer for sure.

Yes, in 2010, the product ID is on the File / Help panel, below "About Microsoft xxx".  In my case that sales channel ID you described is 832.

///

Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:33 PM
  • Hi 74bertone,

First off, would you tell us the name/URL for the retailer that sold you this Office?  This will allow the Office group to determine whether the retailer is allowed to distribute in the fashion you described.

As for scanning the Product Key, I am currently researching what Channel ID 832 stands for.

I'll be honest, from your description, my gut feeling is that the Office you were sold is Non-Genuine, but I want to be sure.  And in the process, if the software is non-genuine, to get the right Microsoft groups informed so they can jump on this (possibly) new vector of Piracy, as quick as possible.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:36 PM
  • Hi Darin,

The site is buyitultracheap.com. 

The site is apparently hosted in Panama according to a couple server sites, e.g. http://serversiders.com/buyitultracheap.com.  The site claims to have three physical offices but on checking them out, they are 1) a virtual office / call center facility, 2) a mail forwarding office, and 3) a hotel.  So who know where they really are.  They are probably in North America from what I would judge from the written english and in their faked (my feeling) reviews.

Unfortunately for me this stuff is more obvious after the fact.

///

Friday, October 29, 2010 7:05 AM
  •  I am now absolutely sure this retailer is not allowed to distribute downloadable Office and that the software they sold you is Non-genuine.

Background information:

There is a subscription based service that we offer to Developers called MSDN.  When they buy an MSDN subscription, they get access to most/all Microsoft software and product keys for that software. The main Licensing points for MSDN subscription software is a) the software can not be used in a Production environment (can only be used for testing) and b) the software can not be resold separate from the subscription (have to sell the full subscription as a whole).

Lately, we have found that scammers will buy a MSDN subscription (usually using a stolen Credit Card) then sell multiple copies of the same MSDN Windows 7 software/key (usually thru auction sites, but sometime thru retail websites). Before we caught on to what they were doing, many people got Non-Genuine software that would Activate without issue (like your Office has done) but would later Validate as Non-genuine.  My feeling is the scammers have just changed their tactic over to Office.

I recommend getting your money back if at all possible. If you payed with a Credit Card, contact your Credit Card company and have them do a Charge Back.  This will return the money back to your Credit Card account. If you payed with Paypal (or some other online pay service) contact them and open a dispute. If you payed by check (and it hasn't cleared yet) talk to your bank about the possibility of canceling the check.   As long as you didn't pay by cash or money order, you should have some avenue to possibly getting your money back.

Now this next part won't help you directly, but if you are willing, I would like to contact you directly so I can get the full Product key for that Office.  This will help me identify exactly what type of key it is.  This will then tell us what type of scam is being used (whether it be the MSDN scam or possibly some new scam we haven't seen before).  As I said, this won't get you your money back, but it will help us get these type of Product keys blocked more quickly and hopefully this will lead to less people effected by these types of scams.

Send the product key to wgatemp1 @ hotmail . com  <remove the spaces>

The reason I am asking you to send to a Hotmail account is because if I posted my personal Microsoft email, I would get a metric ton of spam and I don't want you to post your email address, for the same reason.  The hotmail address is is a temporary address that I can close once it gets too spammy.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, October 29, 2010 9:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 4, 2010 8:12 PM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 7:36 PM
  • 74bertone , we know of your attempts to try and discredit this company, you have been attempting relentlessly to discredit and destroy this company's online reputation. To the moderator of this forum, you have stated that the software is non-genuine without providing actual proof. As a moderator, especially for Microsoft forums you should not make any concrete statements about the legitimacy of a company selling software if you are not certain.  74bertone set this up in order to create doubt and link this posting to other sites where his goal is to smear this company's reputation. He is nothing more than a weasel. 
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:26 PM