Setting up debug enrvironment using MSMPI-v7 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear expertise,

I am now setting up the environment for debugging of MPI applications under Visual Studio 2008 (SP1). The MPI application I am going to debug is run in a local computer.

I have followed the steps shown in this page

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff384244.aspx

to do the setup first by

i) instaling the remote debugger for Visual Studio 2008

ii) installing the MPI Cluster Debugger Add-In for Visual Studio 2008

iii) Instead of using Windows HPC Server 2008 SP1 SDK, I am using MSMPI-v7 to build MPI program

iv) installing Microsoft HPC Pack 2008 SP2 client utilities.

After then, inside Visual Studio 2008,

i) I am able to launch 'MPI Cluster Debugger' under 'Debugging' in Configuration Properties of the Solution

ii) Setup 'Cluster Debugger Configuration' by setting 'Cluster head node' to localhost and 'Number of process' to 2.

A breakpoint was set inside the code and then I start debugging using F5. Debugging can't be started with the following error message being displayed:

'Visual Studio encountered an error when trying to deploy files and setup the debugger properties.

Unable to find the Visual Studio Remote Debugger files. MSVSMON.EXE and MPISHIM.EXE were expected to be found in one of the following paths:'

Seems to me the that above two files are not existing. Is it due to compatability problems between MSMPI-v7 and Visual Studio 2008? I must compile my application with Visual Studio 2008, how can I solve the problem?

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 3:36 AM

All replies

• I am able to locate the files msvsmon.exe and mpishim.exe inside the path

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x64\

I tried to copy the files to 

c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x64\

and then set MPIShim Location to the above path, the same error still occurs.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 4:09 AM
  • Another question is, after I did the above setup, if I want to use Visual Studio 2008 to debug another c++ program with 'Local Windows Debugger' (select under Debugging of Properties of Solution), every time I press F5 or F10 to step around, a window pops out saying that whether I should select the 'Cluster Debugger' to do the debugging. I need to press Cancel everytime to step forward. Can I make a setup selection to skip this window display?

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 7:08 AM
  • Anyone can help me on this?

Thanks.

Regards, Simon

Thursday, June 16, 2016 3:34 AM
  • Hi Simon,

The MPI Cluster Debugging scenario with VS 2008 is no longer supported by the Visual Studio team.

Since MS-MPI v6 we introduced the MSMPI Debugger Windbg Extension. The extension will only work with the Windows Debugger and not Visual Studio. You can download the extension from our homepage https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb524831(v=vs.85).aspx

After you install the extension there's a user guide included that will walk you through several basic debugging scenarios. Feel free to contact us if you have further questions on using it

Anh

Thursday, June 16, 2016 5:59 PM
  • Dear Anh,

Issue is that I am also incorporating GPU debug in VS2008, can I incorporate GPU debug in Windows Debugger?

Regards, Simon

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 2:50 AM