Storage Drive drive letter disappears RRS feed

• Question

• First let me explain that I am new to WHS so hopefully I am not doing anything stupid!

I have installed WHS 2011 on an HP Microliant server. OS is on the provided 250Gb HD. I also added 2 x 2Tb Drives in a RAID 1 configuration for storage. (2 Tb is plenty for me and I wanted the extra resilience in having a mirrored array).

I used the setup server backup wizard and told WHS to use the mirrored drive for backup which shows up fine. I then configured my 2 home PC's for backup as well as the OS itself. When I tried to run the backups, the OS backed up to the Raid drive, but the PC's tried to backup to the Client Computer folder which was on the original 250Gb drive. (Drive Letter D:). This soon ran out of space. I tried to move the folder to the Raid drive, but it wouldn't allow this. I notice that the drive did not have a drive letter. I manually assigned one and was able to move the folder to the raid drive. However, each time the backup wizard is run to tell WHS which drive to use the drive letter disappears and WHS then no longer can find the folder for client backup.

I have undone the RAID array and formated the drives seperately, then recreated the array and formatted again in the OS itself (Disk manager). A drive letter gets assigned but again when I tell WHS where I want my backups, the drive letter disappears and I am back to square 1....

Any suggestions? I assume that there should be a drive letter assigned to my storage drive and this is the thing that actually is causing my issue?

• Edited by Paul_G35 Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:19 AM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:18 AM

Answers

• You will need to install one more drive for data storage.

Your 250GB drive should show up with letter C: and the new drive as D:. Now your shared folders and client backups should be moved from C: to D: using the "move folder" wizard.

The RAID 1 backup doesn't have a drive letter assigned because it is not part of your data storage.

Luc.

• Marked as answer by Paul_G35 Saturday, April 14, 2012 5:34 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:20 AM
  • Only one client backup database, so only one client backup folder. This limitation is imposed in order to realize the space savings that the client backup storage technology allows.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:12 AM

All replies

• You will need to install one more drive for data storage.

Your 250GB drive should show up with letter C: and the new drive as D:. Now your shared folders and client backups should be moved from C: to D: using the "move folder" wizard.

The RAID 1 backup doesn't have a drive letter assigned because it is not part of your data storage.

Luc.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:20 AM
  • Hi Luc, thanks for the reply. Yes, I am just figuring out what I am doing wrong I think! I am confusing the storage and backup terminology :-( For me I am using WHS a a backup device for my client PC's, so effectively the server backup drive becomes a backup of my backup. All seems rather obvious now, but for Newbies like me a decent help file would have helped!

Now I have that clear in my head, can you only have one client backup folder? I.e can you do this:

Storage drive A has a client backup folder for PC's 1&2. Storage drive B has a client folder for PC's 3&4. Large capacity Server backup drive for backing up both client folders?

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:48 AM
  • Only one client backup database, so only one client backup folder. This limitation is imposed in order to realize the space savings that the client backup storage technology allows.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:12 AM
  • Thanks Ken. All makes sense now.
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 5:35 PM