Windows Home Server - No recovery option after Blue Screen of Death - HELP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The PSU on my 4Tb WHS went bad sloooowly and whilst doing so repeatedly rebooted the WHS.
    This left the WHS system partition in a not very good state.
    So I've attempted a re-install & recovery of the data.

The motherboard is a GA-P35-DSR3 which has 8 SATA port, 6 on the Intel ICH9R chip and 2 on the "GIGABYTE SATA2" chip.

I have 7 drives, 6 x 500G & 1 x 1T i.e. 7 drivers in all.
    The first drive of the 6 has a 30G System partition.

During the installation process, the first 6 drives on the Intel ICH9R chip show up.
    But I need to install additional driver via floppy downloaded from the Gigabyte site to see the 7th  - no problem.

Installation continues & I select the recovery option - installation continues all looking good.

Reformats what I hope is the system partition on the C drive - no indication what it actually did.
    THEN thing go badly wrong Blue Screen of Death BSOD.

So I try again, same procedure - only now I have no option to do the recovery only a new installation.

Help - now what?

Thanks,

neeto

Sigh..... it will work THIS time ..... SIGH...
    Monday, June 14, 2010 9:49 AM

All replies

• Are you getting to the install of Win2003 where it says to press F6 to install third party drivers? You have to install the drivers off the floppy a second time on this screen. On mine if I miss that screen it will BSOD.  That's kind of what it sounds like is happening to you. You might be able to boot it again and not press a key to boot off CD. Then hopefully Windows will continue and let you hit F6.

If not, try putting the hard drive back into a new state. Hook it up to a different computer and delete the 20gb Sys partition. Then try your install again catching the F6 the second time around.

Monday, June 14, 2010 9:41 PM
  • is the 7th and 8th port use AHCI or native IDE, because WHS doesnt fully support this and can cause problems I think I had a BSOD because of it at some point, but follow myAvatar and that way might work
    HMG
    Monday, June 14, 2010 10:16 PM
  • Hi,

The PSU on my 4Tb WHS went bad sloooowly and whilst doing so repeatedly rebooted the WHS.
    This left the WHS system partition in a not very good state.
    So I've attempted a re-install & recovery of the data.

The motherboard is a GA-P35-DSR3 which has 8 SATA port, 6 on the Intel ICH9R chip and 2 on the "GIGABYTE SATA2" chip.

I have 7 drives, 6 x 500G & 1 x 1T i.e. 7 drivers in all.
    The first drive of the 6 has a 30G System partition.

During the installation process, the first 6 drives on the Intel ICH9R chip show up.
    But I need to install additional driver via floppy downloaded from the Gigabyte site to see the 7th  - no problem.

Installation continues & I select the recovery option - installation continues all looking good.

Reformats what I hope is the system partition on the C drive - no indication what it actually did.
    THEN thing go badly wrong Blue Screen of Death BSOD.

So I try again, same procedure - only now I have no option to do the recovery only a new installation.

Help - now what?

Thanks,

neeto

Sigh..... it will work THIS time ..... SIGH...

You need to get rid of all traces of the 20 GB OS partition.  You can try deleting it (as MyAvatar suggested), but that may not be enough.  If not, you'll have to use a disk partition utility (such as diskpart) to completely get rid of it.  Just make sure you select the right partition in diskpart as there is no confirmation when you do it and if you select the wrong partition, you'll wipe the DATA partition instead.
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 4:23 AM