none
Sync from Win 7 to NAS errors - 0x80070020. Not running anti-virus

Question

• I am unable to get SyncToy 2.1 to sync a folder on my Win 7 64-bit PC to a NAS.  If I add a file to the NAS and run the sync then the new file is correctly copied over to the folder on the PC.  However, if I make any changes to the files on the PC then the sync will fail with the following:

Error: Unknown error.  The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.  (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)

I've read here that anti-virus software can cause the above but I'm not running any 3rd party anti-virus.  I have Microsoft Security Essentials and have tried turning off Real-time protection but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

Anyone experienced similar?  Anyone got a fix?

Many thanks.

Friday, June 15, 2012 9:08 AM

All replies

• I have exactly the same issue. I suspect it's the NAS that is locking the file as SyncToy seems to be copying the files across with a GUID name and then failing to rename it to the original filename.

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials as well.

Haven't found a solution yet?

T

• Proposed as answer by Thomas1 Sunday, October 21, 2012 5:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Thomas1 Sunday, October 21, 2012 5:56 PM
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Found a solution that worked for me:

I updated my NAS Firmware with this (http://download.conceptronic.net/firmware/C05-211_CHD3NET_Firmware_Update_v014.zip) which is compatible with Windows 7 .

I found this by searching for "CHD3NET" (which is a NAS that has the same chipset as mine) in the downloads of http://www.conceptronic.net/.

Bit of a risk since this isn't from the manufacturer of my NAS (it's Iomega) but it shares the same chipset and was compatible. 

T

• Edited by Thomas1 Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:08 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Thomas1 Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:08 PM
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:05 PM