Hitachi DeskStar IDE Drive - not suitable for WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install WHS on my old XP machine which uses an Hitachi DeskStar HDS722512VLAT80 IDE drive as the primary drive. I am trying to install WHS and I get the common error that WHS cannot be installed on the drive and I need a driver. The Hitachi website simply states that the drivers are built into Windows and are therefore not needed, which isn't much help.

I am a real end user trialling this in a family household with 2 teenage daughters so I am really keen to get it up and running.

Any help with where to locate the drivers for this drive would be appreciated.

Sunday, August 5, 2007 10:26 PM

Answers

•  Rudgey wrote:

Appreciate that the RC version is only for Beta testing and yes I am taking a risk by building WHS now. I am hoping that the RC is sufficiently developed that I can work with it until the evaluation version is released and hopefully provide MS with some useful feedback.

I work in IT and also qualified as an MCSE on WIndows NT & 2000 so I am hoping I have sufficient knowledge to carry me through!

Appreciate guidance on drivers and I think I have now located them on the MSI site - see other reply.

Thanks  

Hi,

MSI do not provide win 2003 server for that board, either used the one for XP in thier site here:

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=149

Or try intel support for 875P & CH5R chipset and get the win 2003 server (under Utilities - floppy):

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=1043&OSFullName=Windows+Server*+2003&lang=eng&strOSs=84&submit=Go%21

Hope that help.

My best.
    Monday, August 6, 2007 9:26 AM

All replies

•  Rudgey wrote:

I am trying to install WHS on my old XP machine which uses an Hitachi DeskStar HDS722512VLAT80 IDE drive as the primary drive. I am trying to install WHS and I get the common error that WHS cannot be installed on the drive and I need a driver. The Hitachi website simply states that the drivers are built into Windows and are therefore not needed, which isn't much help.

I am a real end user trialling this in a family household with 2 teenage daughters so I am really keen to get it up and running.

Any help with where to locate the drivers for this drive would be appreciated.

The drivers don't come from teh drive manufacturer, they come from the maker of the controller chipset, usually the mainboard or add-in card.

RC is not trial or eval software, it's for beta testing. There will be an Evaluation version available in the near future.

If you use a "Dell" you get drivers there, for example.
    Sunday, August 5, 2007 10:35 PM
  • As SME said.

Can you look to the motherbard brand maker and model if it custom build, so we can help you locating the drivers you need.

If it branded name, then look to thier web site for drivers for windows 2003 server.

My best.
    Monday, August 6, 2007 6:34 AM
  • This is really helpful - thanks.

The motherboard is an MSI 875P Neo-FISR.

I have now looked at the MSI website and there are 'Intel INF' drivers for Server 2003. I guess these are the ones I need?

Thanks again

Monday, August 6, 2007 8:44 AM
  • Appreciate that the RC version is only for Beta testing and yes I am taking a risk by building WHS now. I am hoping that the RC is sufficiently developed that I can work with it until the evaluation version is released and hopefully provide MS with some useful feedback.

I work in IT and also qualified as an MCSE on WIndows NT & 2000 so I am hoping I have sufficient knowledge to carry me through!

Appreciate guidance on drivers and I think I have now located them on the MSI site - see other reply.

Thanks  

Monday, August 6, 2007 8:49 AM
  •  Rudgey wrote:

This is really helpful - thanks.

The motherboard is an MSI 875P Neo-FISR.

I have now looked at the MSI website and there are 'Intel INF' drivers for Server 2003. I guess these are the ones I need?

Thanks again

It depends on which controller you've conencted your drives. If you have the CD that came with the mainboard the drivers and floppy maker (for F6 drivers) will be on that. You may have to use XP drivers if 2003 drivers do not exist.

Good luck...

Monday, August 6, 2007 8:51 AM
  •  Rudgey wrote:

Appreciate that the RC version is only for Beta testing and yes I am taking a risk by building WHS now. I am hoping that the RC is sufficiently developed that I can work with it until the evaluation version is released and hopefully provide MS with some useful feedback.

Thanks  

Hi,

MSI do not provide win 2003 server for that board, either used the one for XP in thier site here:

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=149

Or try intel support for 875P & CH5R chipset and get the win 2003 server (under Utilities - floppy):

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=1043&OSFullName=Windows+Server*+2003&lang=eng&strOSs=84&submit=Go%21

Hope that help.

My best.
    Monday, August 6, 2007 9:26 AM
  • Guys

Sorted. Many thanks all up and running.

Will install my 300GB SATA drive next and we will see how that goes!

Thank again

Mark

Monday, August 6, 2007 2:08 PM
  •  Rudgey wrote:

Guys

Sorted. Many thanks all up and running.

Will install my 300GB SATA drive next and we will see how that goes!

Thank again

Mark

I'm glad somebody was able to help.
    Monday, August 6, 2007 6:12 PM