Do Microsoft get to read these complaints? RRS feed

• Question

• Well, before I decide whether to use OneCare backup or other software fit for purpose, I would like to be able to configure it FOR THE FIRST TIME. I select "configure backup" and message "cannot change backup configuration .... as ... OneCare needs to connect to the Internet. ... try again ... etc.." but, of course, the connection to the Internet is active, so why can it not connect?

I had a number of issues (over 3 weeks) to get OneCare activated in the first place, only resolved by 2 additional fixit downloads (thank you Steve) and have yet to get "a green". Is there a fixit for configuration connection? I haven't been able to find an FAQ for that yet.

Like a previous correspondent I am also a Norton escapee & thought they were protectionists.

The WLOC help centre is a joke, the software is not cheap and Microsoft/Windows seem to care less and I'd like to tell them so.

Friday, January 25, 2008 4:17 PM

Answers

• Hello, Tony. I'm glad you've gotten this far and stuck with it. I think I'd have given up!

It would seem to me that there is still some sort of issue with OneCare not knowing that you are connected to the Internet. It needs to be able to reach the servers to store your backup settings in 2.0, which requires the network connection.

Officially, support would be the way to go - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

I think the following may be worth a try, though.

Create a new admin user on your PC via Control Panel/Users.

Log off of your current User and Log into the PC with the new user ID. See if you can configure the backup there. If so, log back out and log in with your original ID and see if the status has now changed.

I still think that there is perhaps a remnant of the Norton software that is causing an issue with your network connection. Support should be able to identify and resolve that.

-steve

Friday, January 25, 2008 5:20 PM

All replies

• Hello, Tony. I'm glad you've gotten this far and stuck with it. I think I'd have given up!

It would seem to me that there is still some sort of issue with OneCare not knowing that you are connected to the Internet. It needs to be able to reach the servers to store your backup settings in 2.0, which requires the network connection.

Officially, support would be the way to go - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

I think the following may be worth a try, though.

Create a new admin user on your PC via Control Panel/Users.

Log off of your current User and Log into the PC with the new user ID. See if you can configure the backup there. If so, log back out and log in with your original ID and see if the status has now changed.

I still think that there is perhaps a remnant of the Norton software that is causing an issue with your network connection. Support should be able to identify and resolve that.

-steve

Friday, January 25, 2008 5:20 PM
  • Steve Hi, thanks for your suggestions. Creating a new admin user didn't solve it and I have yet to get my question accepted by "support" ("error : your submission failed" ie "we're busy") and, although I'm only online once or twice a week, I don't give up easy! I'll keep you informed.

- tony

Monday, January 28, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Tony, if the support form continues to fail for you, email me at sboots@mvps.org and include OneCare Backup in the subject. Tell me the country you are located in and paste this link, http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2753632&SiteID=2, in the message body.

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 5:48 PM