none
Information about Visual Studio certification RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am fairly new to Visual Studio world and have been working on >net Framework 3.5. I am also not in core programming but need the knowledge for application support , I am working on.

What is the best way to approach certification? I mean many places  I saw that pre-requisite is that candidate should have been working for a year or so but in my case, it won't a hardcore programming as I use it as supporting tool. Worth going for certification?

A bit confused on this as not sure where to start considering my knowledge and requirement and whether its worth me doing this without having proper knowledge.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

Best Regards,

Kshitij Nanavaty

Monday, August 8, 2011 10:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

the big question is, if the Visual Studio certification is the correct one for you. They are covering software development and not about application support at all!

But if you want to develop software, then they are the certification you want to get. Experience is important and if you miss experience, then you could train yourself and get more and more into it. But I really recommend to DO it. Just reading something is nothing compared to getting your hands on something. I really liked to play around with all topics given and had my own sample projects which I used to get really familar with the possibilities the framework offered.

So for me the certification was just a check if I was able to learn the contents and understoof it correctly.

I would suggest to directly start with the new Visual Studio 2010 / .Net Framework 4 certifications if you can work with Visual Studio 2010 now. 8If you have to stick to 2008, then concentrate on that of course!)

The best exams to start with are 70-515 and 70-511 - absed on your interest. 70-515 covers Web Applications and 70-511 covers Windows Applications. The Self-Paced Training Kits are available and I would usggest to check these (They cost some bucks but maybe you can even get used ones at Amazon or you get the ebooks cheap at oreilly.com if you buy both .. at least a few days ago they had a 50% off offer!)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, August 8, 2011 11:43 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

the big question is, if the Visual Studio certification is the correct one for you. They are covering software development and not about application support at all!

But if you want to develop software, then they are the certification you want to get. Experience is important and if you miss experience, then you could train yourself and get more and more into it. But I really recommend to DO it. Just reading something is nothing compared to getting your hands on something. I really liked to play around with all topics given and had my own sample projects which I used to get really familar with the possibilities the framework offered.

So for me the certification was just a check if I was able to learn the contents and understoof it correctly.

I would suggest to directly start with the new Visual Studio 2010 / .Net Framework 4 certifications if you can work with Visual Studio 2010 now. 8If you have to stick to 2008, then concentrate on that of course!)

The best exams to start with are 70-515 and 70-511 - absed on your interest. 70-515 covers Web Applications and 70-511 covers Windows Applications. The Self-Paced Training Kits are available and I would usggest to check these (They cost some bucks but maybe you can even get used ones at Amazon or you get the ebooks cheap at oreilly.com if you buy both .. at least a few days ago they had a 50% off offer!)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, August 8, 2011 11:43 AM
    Answerer
  • Thank you Konrad.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Konrad, 

I am in the same boat. I have been working with Visual Studio 2008 for about 3 years and have been working with microsoft technologies for 10 years now. Have been working at a software company which had a small desktop software in dotnet. I havent had a chance to go in depth in the dotnet framework. Things like collections, interfaces, creating reference assemblies and other detailed stuff. I want to get in more detail and want to be a master in dotnet. So I figured out lets give 70 - 536 and then move on to other certifications. I want to learn wcf, asp.net, web services and others. Can you guide me and suggest where to start and how to go about. I would be really thank full if you let me know about 70 -536 and then where to start and go about.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Hi Munika,

it is hard to guide someone without knowing you deeper. but I just write down some thoughts in the hope that you can get some usefull information.

a) 70-536 - That is an old exam (VS 2008) and I would really think about doing the 2010 exams now. Not that it is quite old - the benefit from this exam is also quite bad. You just get access to the MCP site and that is all. (With VS 2010, each exam will grant you MCTS - except the PRO exams of course!). But this is my personal opinion. It is still ok to do this exam. It will expire in about 2 years (If Microsoft can keep what they promised. I am just putting together parts I heared ... e.g. "every 2 years they want to publish a major update to VS", "2 major versions are supported with certifications", ... There are no real official things so far so it is just something that I personaly expect ... and I have no insider knowledge!). The content of the exam is usefull but some parts are outdated already. (But it is usefull! Just the logging stuff in there is nice ... I often see people using external libraries like log4net for some simple crap that is already build into the ,Net framework which is simply a shame!)

b) If you have most experience with desktop applications, I would suggest to try the 70-511 exam which covers WPF. (If you used Windows Forms only, then this could be a reason to stick to 70-536 + 70-505 instead.)

c) My main suggestion is to take the self-paced training kit for an exam if it is available. If you do not want to spend much money, then check amazon - they also offer used books and often they are much lower that the new price. These books offer nice introductions, the book is also available as pdf on CD and you get a practice test which could help a little to see, how the exam works.

d) Practice! That is most important. And no: It does not mean that you have to really work in your company with that. But build your own small projects where you play with the classes. You hsould really know how everything works together.

The good thing is now, that you can do plenty of exams. Visual Studio 2010 has a lot of exams right now and 4 MCPD titles! But I am still missing the Workflow Foundation exam which exists for 3.5 only ....  But if you did the exams that are of interest for you: There are other exams important for developers: I did the 70-443 exam because we create a lot of databases and I simply lacked to much on that topic.

Good luck with your learning / preparations / exams!

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Proposed as answer by Aparajita Sri Thursday, September 1, 2011 10:58 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:57 PM
    Answerer