validating vista after new hardware change RRS feed

• Question

•  

I had to install a new motherboard, after the new one I bought three months ago failed.  I have reinstalled Vista and it says my product key is in use and gives me the option to buy another one.  Why should I have to buy a new one when I am the same person that bought it.  It is the same computer but a different motherboard.  I have been trying to find a phone number to talk to someone about getting it validated but all I ever find is forums, supposed online help that doesn't address the issue.  If I have to buy a new one, then I will be changing toa different OS, this is rediculous always thinking someone is out to rob them.
    Sunday, November 18, 2007 1:59 PM

Answers

•  

Hi grgj258,

It appears that to resolve your issue, you must Activate Windows using the "Activate by Phone" method. Please follow the below option that that best fix your given issue scenario:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enterand follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to tansfer you to a Live Rep.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:20 PM

All replies

•  

Hi grgj258,

It appears that to resolve your issue, you must Activate Windows using the "Activate by Phone" method. Please follow the below option that that best fix your given issue scenario:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enterand follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to tansfer you to a Live Rep.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:20 PM
  • Ok so here's what happened.

I've replaced the Mobo, processor, Vid card and memory. Because when upgrading to Vista meeting the Basic not minimum requirements still doesn't make it. Basically you get a game that says you have to have Vista and then it runs bad on low settings. So you replace hardware and now you can't do anything.

After the Hardware install started up the system and got a failed to start and has the safe mode choices. But New at the top, as I've had little exper. with Vista is an "If you changed" hardware steps.

So I follow the steps to insert the CD and fix the BIOS to follow the CD first and do a "Repair". It goes thru the motions and says everything was successful but at the end wants to do a "Restore". I think it's because of the change in hardware and wants to go to different drivers or uninstall what hasn't been installed yet. So I cancel it. It tells me to send an error report because it failed to complete. I send the report and it goes back to a different menu. One with Restore, Install, command, memory check ect...

So I figured it wouldn't hurt to do the restore, completed I removed the CD and it still came up to the Safe mode options menu to which I tried the last known, safe mode and such. All restarts. I put the CD in again to repair and it came back all complete successful with no option to restore but still failed because of possible hardware change.

So I restart with the CD and try to just do an install instead of repair. I then get an error that I have to be in Vista and choose the this option there. So I don't know where to go from here.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me and read this

Chris
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:44 AM