Limited License Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We're working on a deployment with some Limited CAL users.  When they create a Lead, we need to create a record in a custom entity.  Now I understand that the Limited CAL can create Leads but cannot create custom entities unless via SDK.  So could I create a workflow or plugin to create the custom entity record?  Does "SDK" include workflow and plugin?

Thanks

John

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:00 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

AS user cant create custom entities in CRM from UI, so even workflow (out of box) will not be able to create custom entities for those user as workflow runs in user context. 
    Better you write a plugin/custom workflow to create the custom entity record and within your code change the user context to an admin user. 

Chandan - http://mscrm-chandan.blogspot.in/ I hope this helps. If my response answered your question, please mark the response as an answer and also vote as helpful !!!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:17 PM
  • Hi Chandan

Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure I agree on two counts. Only On-Demand workflow runs in the user context.  So providing the workflow is triggered by other means than On-Demand, it will run in the context of the user who owns the workflow.  Typically and admin user.  Secondly, even if the workflow is running in user context, creation of custom entity records via SDK/api is allowed on a Limited CAL.  Now I'm assuming workflow is just that.  The user never navigates to the custom entity and clicks the "New" button.  That is what I would expect to out of license.  But like I said, I'm assuming workflow is SDK/api and that's the point I would like to have clarified.

I'd rather use workflow than a plugin in this implementation as the customer tends to have a very fluid requirement over time.  They will want to change logic moving forward for different scenarios.  Workflow would work better for them.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:32 PM