no internet access RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I received the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB905474) update. During this download, my computer froze up. Cancel or ALT DEL wouldn't work, so I powered down using the power button. Upon restarting, everything seemed fine until I opened by Internet Explorer 6. Now I have no access to the internet - CANNOT OPEN PAGE appears every time. I can access my e-mail account (outlook express) but no internet.

On my control panel, the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications is listed, but is UNREMOVABLE.

Can anyone give me any help/suggestions?

Thanks,

Obviously, I'm using a different computer to post this...

Sunday, May 7, 2006 3:26 PM

Answers

• It appears your posting is not Genuine Advantage specific but more Operating System related. In order to provide specific support for the issue you describe I would recommend you check your support options available for Windows XP here:

www.support.microsoft.com

Hope this helps

dave

Monday, May 8, 2006 7:24 AM

All replies

• It appears your posting is not Genuine Advantage specific but more Operating System related. In order to provide specific support for the issue you describe I would recommend you check your support options available for Windows XP here:

www.support.microsoft.com

Hope this helps

dave

Monday, May 8, 2006 7:24 AM
  • Hi,

I have suffered the same problem recently too. It seems that this update knocks out your LAN connection which prevents the computer seeing your modem and therefore connecting to the internet. This happened to me each time I tried to download the update.

To resolve the problem, go to your Start - Control Panel - Network Connections and see whether you have any LAN connection listed. If not, unplug your modem lead and then reinsert it. This should enable the computer to recognise the "new" hardware and will allow you access to the internet once more.

Finally, don't bother installing the update as it seems to be rogue software which freezes the computer entirely!

Good luck!

Thursday, May 25, 2006 8:53 AM