Live OneCare Backup Reboots System RRS feed

• Question

• During Live OneCare Backup, OneCare collects information such as backup file size.  When I select "start" the backup starts then reboots the system.  After the reboot, I a pop up error window appears, when I click on it, it sends an error report and displays two options, the one I remember is something about have I loaded new software or something to that effect.  The only thing new is XP SP3.  I have even reloaded Live OneCare but back up still reboots system.

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 10:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• I recommend contacting support for this problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

It sounds like a driver problem. I don't know if that driver is for your backup device, something else on your system, or with the backup service of OneCare.

Has backup ever worked for you before?

-steve

Thursday, October 2, 2008 2:18 PM
  • Yes, it worked before.  Seemed to start after installation of SP3 and the latest recommended updated by Live OneCare.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 10:41 PM
  • Worked with LiveOneCare last night and they provided a fix.

It centered around Acronis.  Seems Acronis creates many "Generic" drives and after a Microsoft update, LiveOneCare and Acronis seemed not to play together very well.  I removed Acronis from my system but this did not fix the problem.  LiveOneCare provided a list of instructions to follow which removed Acronis and the Generic drives completely.  Upon reboot LiveOneCare backup worked.

The only reason I use Acronis is to make image copies of the primary drive to the secondary drive.  If C drive goes bad, I have a working copy on D and my down time is greatly reduced.  Only had to recover the missing files/programs using the LiveOneCare backup that were made on a weekly schedule.  Besides Norton Ghost, is there an "Complete Drive IMAGE" copy program out there that will work with LiveOneCare?

Friday, October 3, 2008 5:48 PM