Release Date of the Server 2012 R2 Update for the 70-410, 411 and 412 Exams RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have just been informed by a individual from the MCP support phone line that the new test reflecting the new material relating to Windows Server 2012 R2 will be released January 14th.  Any test relating to an MCSA before that date will not cover the Server 2012 R2 or Windows 8.1 material.  I'm not sure why it was so hard to get this information from Microsoft.  The website simply states January 2014.  If your like me you want to know exactly what your walking into when you take a certification exam.  I've been rushing my studying just to make sure I could take the exam before January.  Now, I know I have a little more time and can be confidant about my preparation.

Remember to select 'Mark as Answer' for any reply that provided a solution

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When you look a the info for exam that will be updated you will see the following notification:

Please note that the questions may test on, but will not be limited to, the topics described in the bulleted text.

Beginning in January 2014, the questions on this exam will include content covering Windows 8.1.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam-70-687.aspx

So this information is not hard to get there is a link explaining exactly what content will change.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

MCSE:Server Infrastructure, MCSE:Desktop Infrastructure, MCSA Server 2012, Citrix CCIA & CCEE, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 Twitter: @dnyvandam http://www.dannyvandam.net

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:52 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi, Curtis.

I think it was just an oversight by the Microsoft certification team. Perhaps the MSL team needs a better way of announcing exact dates for exam updates. Maybe the exam descriptions can also state the date besides just the month.

For example, Larry Kaye of Microsoft posted the exact dates of the MCSD updates to specific exams here: http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/b/weblog/archive/2013/11/01/exam-certification-update-3-mcsd-windows-store-apps.aspx#fbid=u5y2UTPUB9Z

I suspect that you would have gotten the answer to your question by asking it as a response to an entry on the Born To Learn blog from Veronica Sopher, et al.

I agree - they should be more clear of what when exactly we should expect updates when we drop the $150.

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:38 PM
    Answerer
  • That's good to know. I knew the information was out there I just wanted to hear it from the horse's mouth, sort-of-speak. I have heard stories of the nightmare brought about by the Server 2008 R2 updates a few years ago.  I guess I was kind of spooked about walking in on testing day and being shocked to find 2012 R2 questions.  I considered posting a question on TechNet but never thought about roaming the blogosphere.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Hi Curtis,

As Davin mentioned, the Microsoft Learning team mostly hangs out on our community site Born to Learn. Erika, Larry and Thomas blog about cert updates, Liberty discusses exams, Kerri writes a series on anti-piracy, and you'll usually see posts from me about offers and events. Please visit us there for the most up-to-date info. It often takes a bit longer for web pages to be updated. Thanks!

Veronica Sopher, Community Manager, Microsoft Learning

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:19 PM
  • Thanks for directing me, I actually just started following your blog postings.  I'll check out everyone else's blogs as well to get my info for future Microsoft certs.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:52 PM