Reload WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Something is really hosed in WHS as it keeps getting Unknown Connection Errors. I found one entry in the system log saying it was a .net 2.0 issue. I unloaded and reloaded .net 2.0.

Everything backs up fine (apparently) but I just cannot connect to restore a system because of this 'unknown' error. I've disabled firewall, disabled antivirus, checked website status, checked the tookkit (which reports no connectivity problems).

So, I want to do either a fresh install of WHS, or a Repair install. Can anyone tell me if my data is at risk by doing this? How about the existing backups?

My other option is to restore to a backup I have, but the backup is about 8 months old. If I restore that backup, is any data about the stores, the data, the backups, etc stored on the C drive?

Thanks.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:07 PM

Answers

• Something is really hosed in WHS as it keeps getting Unknown Connection Errors. I found one entry in the system log saying it was a .net 2.0 issue. I unloaded and reloaded .net 2.0.

Everything backs up fine (apparently) but I just cannot connect to restore a system because of this 'unknown' error. I've disabled firewall, disabled antivirus, checked website status, checked the tookkit (which reports no connectivity problems).

So, I want to do either a fresh install of WHS, or a Repair install. Can anyone tell me if my data is at risk by doing this? How about the existing backups?

You should be able to keep all of your data in tact by doing a Server Reinstallation.  See the FAQ post:  How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS? for details on how to do that.  (Even though you have a different scenario, the steps are the same.)

My other option is to restore to a backup I have, but the backup is about 8 months old. If I restore that backup, is any data about the stores, the data, the backups, etc stored on the C drive?

Thanks.
    If you mean you have a backup of the primary drive of your server, that is unsupported and definitely not recommended.  WHS has too many moving parts for a backup of the OS to be effective.  You should stick with a Server Reinstallation.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by bbotz Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:15 PM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:48 PM

All replies

You should be able to keep all of your data in tact by doing a Server Reinstallation.  See the FAQ post:  How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS? for details on how to do that.  (Even though you have a different scenario, the steps are the same.)

Thanks.
    If you mean you have a backup of the primary drive of your server, that is unsupported and definitely not recommended.  WHS has too many moving parts for a backup of the OS to be effective.  You should stick with a Server Reinstallation.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by bbotz Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:15 PM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:48 PM
  • I *do* appreciate your help!!! Thank you very much.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:15 PM