Cannot download connector software from homeserver. RRS feed

• Question

• I have downloaded the evaulation software. As far as I can tell the install went perfectly. I log into the server as admin but cannot open the software folder ? I have also tried enabling the guest access without any sucess.

The error message is :

\\homeserver\software is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

etc

Which makes no sense at all, having logged directly into the machine as admin I should have access to everything ?
    Friday, November 6, 2009 3:43 PM

Answers

• Making slow progress. The NIC is lacking it's drivers. Not having much luck finding them either. The PC is a HP s3860a and I don't seem to be able to find drivers for the board that are compatable with either XP or WHS.

I'll keep looking but it's not looking good for WHS if even the most basic of installs is this much of a headache.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, November 8, 2009 3:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by oldlock74 Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:06 PM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:35 AM

All replies

• I have downloaded the evaulation software. As far as I can tell the install went perfectly. I log into the server as admin but cannot open the software folder ? I have also tried enabling the guest access without any sucess.

The error message is :

\\homeserver\software is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

etc

Which makes no sense at all, having logged directly into the machine as admin I should have access to everything ?

First, logging into the server desktop is unsupported.  Having said that, yes you should still be able to open the shares from there.  Are you able to open other shares from the desktop?  Have you tried creating a user in the Console, then opening that share from a client (using the same username and password you created in the Console)?
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:52 AM
  • I tried shares etc with no luck. I was able to explore the drive and extract the files that way but am still no further on. There is something fundamental and basic wrong here and I can't put my finger on it. I cannot access the homeserver by any means from other PC's on the network (wired ethernet).

When running IPCONFIG /ALL on the server all I get is :

Windows IP Configuration

I checked the checksum of the download and that was all good. I've tried to install the connector software now having found it as above and get the

" This operation cannot be completed at this time "

error message.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 1:58 AM
  • It would seem that the net adaptor in the PC is not working for some reason. I cannot ping the router from the home server either.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 3:52 AM
  • Making slow progress. The NIC is lacking it's drivers. Not having much luck finding them either. The PC is a HP s3860a and I don't seem to be able to find drivers for the board that are compatable with either XP or WHS.

I'll keep looking but it's not looking good for WHS if even the most basic of installs is this much of a headache.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, November 8, 2009 3:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by oldlock74 Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:06 PM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:35 AM
  • Making slow progress. The NIC is lacking it's drivers.  Not having much luck finding them either. The PC is a HP s3860a and I don't seem to be able to find drivers for the board that are compatable with either XP or WHS.

It's not MS's fault for a lack of necessary NIC drivers for your mobo (blame that on HP and/or the mobo manufacturer).  Frankly, I wouldn't even consider using a pre-built machine designed for a client OS as a server (if you're going the pre-built route, it would be better to purchase the HP MSS).  If you are intent on using that box as a server, you'll probably have to find out what model mobo is inside, then check the mobo manufacturer's website for drivers.

In any event, ideally you want Server 2003 (the underlying OS) drivers for WHS.  If those aren't available, XP drivers will sometimes work (but not always).  If neither are available, you will probably need to install a NIC card (again, preferably one with Server 2003 drivers) and disable the on-board NIC.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 3:05 PM
  • I eventually found the driver and solved that issue. I feel fairly sure that quite a lot of people will be doing what I am and using a desktop. Anyway that is sorted, the folder permission issue remains. I'll post another thread re that after some more searching.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 11:41 PM