none
Server backups RRS feed

• Question

•  I temporality used a USB drive for my server backups. Now I have fitted a eSATA one.  But though the backup records say unconnected they still list the old backups. So I went looking for how to tell it remove  the now non existing backup records.

Also has there been any progress in being able to limit the backups created from the server?  

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:14 PM

Answers

• You can't delete those backups as one day you might recommect your USB drive and want access to the backups there. No change to the backup functionality since WHS2011 was released.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by john_71 Friday, January 13, 2012 10:34 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:38 PM

All replies

• You can't delete those backups as one day you might recommect your USB drive and want access to the backups there. No change to the backup functionality since WHS2011 was released.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by john_71 Friday, January 13, 2012 10:34 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Thanks for reply. I can see how/why it works but for a home server rather than a corporate one the inability to curtail the number of backups is I feel over the top. Before retirement this was sort of what my IT department did, but even they only kept non legally required data for 5 years not for ever.

The backups made to the server by client PC’s is more than enough for me (and as far as I can see many others) for the server as well. To have the full range could be useful for some but I find the one imposed over the top and understand why my son said not to implement server backups!

To be unable to remover records of long deleted backups is mad, the ability to keep them if you have the need/ability/finances to keep endless numbers of external drives may be worth it. But I would have thought is a server backup drive were “removed” from within WHS2011 it should have the option to clear the backups from it and the records (no pint keeping them if the program is removing them from the backup media!)

But any way you have explained what the position is and some of us must hope some sanity is introduced in a later update.

Regards

John

• Edited by john_71 Friday, January 13, 2012 10:36 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 10:33 AM