Internal vs external drives question.... RRS feed

• Question

• I have a pc with 2 internal sata ports that I would like to build a WHS on.  I would also like to add 2 more external drives (USB2)for extra storage.  My question / concern is with the speed of the external drives (USB 2.0).  Specifically, I am wondering if my files will be served from the internal drives (faster), and the backups kept on the external drives only (files not served from external drives, just used as backup). 

I read that it is recommended that your system drive be the largest drive (I'm not exactly sure why this is), so here is what I am thinking -

1.5 tb internal system drive (SATA)
    1.5 tb internal drive (SATA)
    1.5 tb external drive (USB 2.0)

Will this setup work?  Will WHS automatically know to keep a copy of everything on the internal drives and serve the file from there (faster)?  Or will I deal with some files being served from the slower USB drives?

Thanks!
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:50 PM

All replies

• I recommend against the use of USB drives in the Windows Home Server storage pool. Using them as server backup drives is fine, but many users have had problems with USB drives.

Instead, I would recommend the use of eSATA or Firewire drives if you must use external drives. Better yet is to purchase an inexpensive PCI SATA HBA for the installation of additional internal drives (though you will have to mess around with drivers if you should need to perform a server reinstallation).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 3:18 PM
  • I have a pc with 2 internal sata ports that I would like to build a WHS on.  I would also like to add 2 more external drives (USB2)for extra storage.  My question / concern is with the speed of the external drives (USB 2.0).  Specifically, I am wondering if my files will be served from the internal drives (faster), and the backups kept on the external drives only (files not served from external drives, just used as backup). 

I read that it is recommended that your system drive be the largest drive (I'm not exactly sure why this is), so here is what I am thinking -

1.5 tb internal system drive (SATA)
    1.5 tb internal drive (SATA)

Will this setup work?  Will WHS automatically know to keep a copy of everything on the internal drives and serve the file from there (faster)?  Or will I deal with some files being served from the slower USB drives?

Thanks!

In addition to what Ken said, the "largest-drive-as-the-system-drive" is a thing of the past (that was before Power Pack 1 was released).
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 11:51 PM