Tips text is missing RRS feed

• Question

• I am debugging a CRM 4.0 plugin.  To learn more about the problem, I set the log to record warnings and above.  A few seconds before the log entry that begins to describe my problem is saw the following entry about missing tips text.  I do not think that it is related directly to my problem, but I would like to eliminate it to be sure.  I don't know what the reference "serviceappointment_new_eventstubid" in the warning message points to - it is not the name of a field or the name of a relationship.

Any ideas on how to eliminate the warning are appreciated.  Thanks,

Bill

------------- Trace log entry -----------------

[2008-05-28 13:44:58.2] Process: w3wp |OrganizationBig Smiled012f20-e4de-4730-9039-a78b4432de7f |Thread:   14 |Category: Application |User: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 |Level: Warning | RelatedInformationControl.AddTipsCategory
     at RelatedInformationControl.AddTipsCategory(Context context, String entityName, String contextName)
     at RelatedInformationControl.CheckForContext(Control control, String formType, Int32 formEntityTypeCode, AppForm form)
     at RelatedInformationControl.CheckForContext(Control control, FormDescriptor formDescriptor, AppForm form)
     at CrudForm.BuildFormModel(FormDescriptor formDescriptor)
     at CustomizableForm.Execute(Entity entity, String formType)
     at CustomizableForm.Execute(Entity entity)
     at BasicActivityPage.ConfigureForm()
     at SchedulableActivityBasePage.ConfigureForm()
     at ServiceAppointmentDetailPage.ConfigureForm()
     at AppUIPage.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
     at Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
     at Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
     at Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
     at Page.ProcessRequest()
     at Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
     at Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
     at younglife_activities_serviceappointment_edit_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
     at CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
     at HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
     at ApplicationStepManager.ResumeSteps(Exception error)
     at HttpApplication.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.BeginProcessRequest(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback cb, Object extraData)
     at HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr)
     at HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNoDemand(HttpWorkerRequest wr)
     at ISAPIRuntime.ProcessRequest(IntPtr ecb, Int32 iWRType)
    >Tips text is missing for serviceappointment_new_eventstubid

Friday, May 30, 2008 1:09 PM

Answers

• Just a quick follow-up.

I discovered that I was mistaken about this exception (actually a warning, not an error) causing my custom workflow activity to fail. The workflow was failing because of other code-related issues that were my own fault (now resolved).

This issue appears to be one of those internal exceptions that does not seem to cause any problems, other than being logged in the Trace log, if the trace level is set to Warning (or lower).

I found that removing the offending fields from the respective forms resolved the problem. Although I would not consider this a solution because the fields are needed.

I've updated my trace level to Error now to avoid seeing these messages. That's not a solution either, but it sure is a great workaround! (Out of sight, out of mind...)

Friday, December 19, 2008 10:59 PM
  • Probably too late for the original poster, but for reference, I think the warning message in the log occurs if the Display Name of the Relationship Attribute is blank (open up the Relationship to check and modify this). I've not worked out exactly why this can happen, but the cases when I've met it have been after importing customisations from an environment that had been upgraded from CRM 3 to 4

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com/ http://www.excitation.co.uk
    Friday, May 15, 2009 5:20 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Bill!

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the same messages showing up in traces.

Thanks!

Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:27 AM
  • I'm also getting the same message (except for a different attribute names).

This thread appears to be the only mention of this particular error on the entire web (based on repeated and thorough Microsoft and Google searches).

One thing I've noticed is that the attributes mentioned in the exception all seem to be the names of custom Many-to-One relationships (all with Referential behavior) between two entities.

This one really has me stumped and actually seems to be causing my custom workflow method to fail.

I'm going to continue digging and troubleshooting. I'll post back if I find the answer.

Friday, December 19, 2008 5:58 PM
  • Just a quick follow-up.

I discovered that I was mistaken about this exception (actually a warning, not an error) causing my custom workflow activity to fail. The workflow was failing because of other code-related issues that were my own fault (now resolved).

This issue appears to be one of those internal exceptions that does not seem to cause any problems, other than being logged in the Trace log, if the trace level is set to Warning (or lower).

I found that removing the offending fields from the respective forms resolved the problem. Although I would not consider this a solution because the fields are needed.

I've updated my trace level to Error now to avoid seeing these messages. That's not a solution either, but it sure is a great workaround! (Out of sight, out of mind...)

Friday, December 19, 2008 10:59 PM
  • Probably too late for the original poster, but for reference, I think the warning message in the log occurs if the Display Name of the Relationship Attribute is blank (open up the Relationship to check and modify this). I've not worked out exactly why this can happen, but the cases when I've met it have been after importing customisations from an environment that had been upgraded from CRM 3 to 4

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com/ http://www.excitation.co.uk
    Friday, May 15, 2009 5:20 PM