"The backup database has errors"?? RRS feed

• Question

• Homebuilt WHS has been fine for 9 months.  No new add-ons or add'l drives or add'l clients.  The icon shows red this morning.  In the WHS console, both PCs are shown as backed up this morning but the health page shows "The backup database has errors. Click to run the Backup Database Repair Wizard".  The Toolkit's event viewer shows no errors in any section.

Versions:
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0

This repair will apparently delete all of the backups.  There are a couple from removed machines that I would really, really like to keep.  Suggestions?  Thanks
    Don
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:27 PM

All replies

• You can try restoring those backups to a hard drive before you run the repair. You can do this by connecting the drive to any computer joined to your server, and (on that computer) running the program C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe . The drive you use will need to be at least as large as the drive you originally backed up.

Whether you will succeed or not will depend on what's corrupt. Unfortunately, Windows Home Server's backup and restore functionality is not well suited to archiving old PCs, exactly because of this. When something corrupts the backup database, often the whole database is lost.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:39 PM
  • While I wasn't able to restore the complete backup to a disk as you suggested (it died as soon as I started the process), I was able to mount the backup and restore the individual folder that was the most important.

I then started the Database Repair Wizard.  In literally two seconds, it said essentially "OK everything's good now" and showed green checkmarks for all of the computers!  Backups worked fine that night and also last night.  Any ideas about what that all means?  Is there another error log file somewhere that would have had more information than the event log (which had no errors shown)?

I think WHS should be revamped to allow users to duplicate backups if they choose, like the shares.  When MS included the feature to retain historic backups and allow you to restore from any of them, the implication is that they will be there and in good shape until you delete them.  They should outlast any WHS or disk problem.  If someone has a shortage of disk space or doesn't want the feature, they could choose to not duplicate the backups.

The backup I was most concerned about is for a daughter's laptop that normally lives 2500 miles from me so it's not very convenient to just make another one if the backup database is destroyed.
    Don
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:11 PM
  • While I wasn't able to restore the complete backup to a disk as you suggested (it died as soon as I started the process), I was able to mount the backup and restore the individual folder that was the most important.

I then started the Database Repair Wizard.  In literally two seconds, it said essentially "OK everything's good now" and showed green checkmarks for all of the computers!  Backups worked fine that night and also last night.  Any ideas about what that all means?  Is there another error log file somewhere that would have had more information than the event log (which had no errors shown)?

I think WHS should be revamped to allow users to duplicate backups if they choose, like the shares.

You can already do that (although in a manual and unsupported fashion).  See the Home Computer Backup and Restore Technical Brief for details on how to do that (or use the BDBB add-in).

When MS included the feature to retain historic backups and allow you to restore from any of them, the implication is that they will be there and in good shape until you delete them.  They should outlast any WHS or disk problem.  If someone has a shortage of disk space or doesn't want the feature, they could choose to not duplicate the backups.

The backup I was most concerned about is for a daughter's laptop that normally lives 2500 miles from me so it's not very convenient to just make another one if the backup database is destroyed.
    Don

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:57 AM