Cannot connect my first client RRS feed

• Question

• After a successful install of Windows Home Server 2011 with SP1 (accoring to the system version display). I go to my Win7Pro client machine and, in MSIE8, I type http://<servername>/connect. I download the software from the server and I run it as an administrator. After clicking on 'Next' I receive the following error:

"Cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress, or, the computer has a restart pending. Either complete the installation process, or, restart the computer and try to connect again."

I have restarted both my server as well as my client machine, but the error continues to come up. My client is up-to-date and the server has been rebooted many times, several between attempts that generated this error on the client.  I can mount shared folders from the server and access the server's files from my DLNA-enabled phone.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I've found the following solution in many places, but as I have *NO* "PendingFileRenameOperations" (or PendingFileRenameOperations2") folder, it really, really doesn't help me at all.  There is something else going on here.  It may be that I mistakenly ran the remote access wizard even though, when I found out what it was, I didn't really want INTERNET access at all, just access from the machines on my home network.  Since the remote access wizard failed (as it was destined to do, because my cable company doesn't allow access to the router, and the Go-Daddy page it sent me to for the domain didn't work) I suspect that is the problem.  If Remote Access is required, it might be good to mention that BEFORE telling a new user to connect to http://<servername>/connect during the installation procedure!

Here's the solution that is useless to me -- I need a better one.

Any application can set a pending reboot flag in the operating system through a registry key. Sometimes a reboot does not clear the flag. This is what setup is detecting.

To work around the pending reboot issue:
    1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Source: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/787c7a6b-dff1-4ceb-b5ea-73bc3fb99b3c/

Monday, August 22, 2011 12:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you could check the processes in task manager before starting the installation.

Is there any process running with the name msiexec.exe?

Sometimes hidden updates like for virus scanner or in worst case malware could run such stuff without showing up on screen.

If it is you can try to end the task.

Also check, if there is another registry key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress". This can have impact as well and you can delete it, if it exists.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, August 22, 2011 11:45 AM