How to restore one file with folder duplication? RRS feed

• Question

• How do I restore one file in a share I have folder duplication on?

I have 12 file conflicts on my PHOTOS share that I have folder dupication on. I want to grab those 12 jpegs from the folder duplication process but I can't figure ot how to do this.

I do not have shadow copy on so I cannot use that method.

It is my understanding that folder duplication will copy the specified shares to a different physical hard drive. So that means those 12 files are on another drive.. I just cannot figure out how to access those 12 files.

Thanks

• Edited by iglesiab Monday, June 1, 2009 2:06 AM typos
    Monday, June 1, 2009 2:04 AM

Answers

I have 12 file conflicts on my PHOTOS share that I have folder dupication on. I want to grab those 12 jpegs from the folder duplication process but I can't figure ot how to do this.

It is my understanding that folder duplication will copy the specified shares to a different physical hard drive. So that means those 12 files are on another drive.. I just cannot figure out how to access those 12 files.

Thanks

You can power down your server, disconnect each drive from your server, connect them to a client and retrieve the data from a hidden folder called DE.  However, before you do that, do you know what's causing your File Conflicts?  Can you post the entire message in your Console here?  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server?
    • Marked as answer by iglesiab Monday, June 1, 2009 11:31 AM
    Monday, June 1, 2009 4:43 AM

All replies

Thanks

You can power down your server, disconnect each drive from your server, connect them to a client and retrieve the data from a hidden folder called DE.  However, before you do that, do you know what's causing your File Conflicts?  Can you post the entire message in your Console here?  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server?
    • Marked as answer by iglesiab Monday, June 1, 2009 11:31 AM
    Monday, June 1, 2009 4:43 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the info. I am running check disk on my drives now and it did find 40KB of bad sectors on one of my drives.

The file conflicts were CRC errors.. which might mean the hard drive is dying? None of my drives are failing or have given me SMART errors so I am not sure if that is the case.

I have six drives though, is connecting them to a different client to find the one that the files are stored on really the intended way to use folder duplication?

Again thanks for your help
    Monday, June 1, 2009 11:39 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the info. I am running check disk on my drives now and it did find 40KB of bad sectors on one of my drives.

The file conflicts were CRC errors.. which might mean the hard drive is dying?

I know if it was me I would replace it ASAP.

None of my drives are failing or have given me SMART errors so I am not sure if that is the case.

I have six drives though, is connecting them to a different client to find the one that the files are stored on really the intended way to use folder duplication?

No, that was a quick workaround to get to your data.  The proper way to handle your apparent hard drive problem is to remove the drive that is failing from the storage pool (through the Console).  At that point, WHS will move everything (that it can read anyway) to another drive.  If the drive removal should happen to fail (due to bad blocks), power down the server, disconnect the bad drive, then power up the server and remove the now "missing" drive through the Console.  Either way, your data should be safe because you have a second copy of those files on a different hard drive and once you remove the bad hard drive from your server, WHS automatically create a new copy of those files on another drive in your server.

Again thanks for your help

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:23 AM
  • That makes sense. I do want to replace my failing hard drive however when I ran chkdisk ( as outlined in one of the posts) I could not tell which hard drive was bad. The command opened up 6 command prompts ( one for each of my drives I assume) scanned them and then closed the command prompt windows.

The console reports everything healthy, however file conflicts errors for CRC are now starting to appear on other shares so I definetly need to figure out which hard drive is bad.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 12:35 PM
  • That makes sense. I do want to replace my failing hard drive however when I ran chkdisk ( as outlined in one of the posts) I could not tell which hard drive was bad. The command opened up 6 command prompts ( one for each of my drives I assume) scanned them and then closed the command prompt windows.

The console reports everything healthy, however file conflicts errors for CRC are now starting to appear on other shares so I definetly need to figure out which hard drive is bad.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

First thing to do is to check the event logs on your server.  The errors should tell you which volume mount point is having issues.  From there, you can determine which drive it is by going to Disk Management, opening the Properties on each drive, then click the Shadow Copies tab.  When you click the Shadow Copies tab, the drive that is highlighted is the one that you are checking the properties for.  Go through each drive until you find the one that is the one showing error messages.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:39 AM
  • You can manually go through Disk Management and give each partition a drive letter. Then go to the hidden "DE" folder and find which disks contain which files. Hopefully one is still a clean file you can copy off somewhere. Then just delete the \\server\ file path and it should hopefully remove the broken tombstone and any corrupted file.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 6:54 AM
  • You can manually go through Disk Management and give each partition a drive letter. Then go to the hidden "DE" folder and find which disks contain which files. Hopefully one is still a clean file you can copy off somewhere. Then just delete the \\server\ file path and it should hopefully remove the broken tombstone and any corrupted file.

Adding a drive letter to a volume mount point created by WHS is not supported and, frankly, a terrible idea.  I would strongly recommend you do not follow this advice. 
    Friday, June 5, 2009 3:27 AM