Live custom domain service RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using 2 DSL connections and a dualWAN router in load balancing mode, now is my WHS hostname (xxxx.homeserver.com) over 2 IPs on my router and i want it only over 1 of those 2. I have a static IP adress over both my WAN connections. How can i fix this?

What protocol do microsoft windows home server use to update dynamic dns records?

• Edited by bb4441632 Friday, May 21, 2010 2:53 PM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 9:43 PM

Answers

• That question is most easily answered by looking at what name service is being used...DNS. DNS uses UDP and TCP over port 53. The dynamic functionality of the service is handled by functions that check WAN IP addresses and update DNS A records accordingly. WHS dynamic DNS is similar in functionality to DynDNS, TZO, etc.

Regards,

Mike

Friday, May 21, 2010 8:02 PM

All replies

• Does it really matter? Doesn't your router forward from whichever interface a packet comes in on to your server?

That said, if your router sends outbound requests out on both interfaces it's a crapshoot which one will be used when Windows Home Server next updates the Live custom domain service. Your environment isn't one that Windows Home Server was designed to operate in, so it just does a handshake every now and then with Live and the interface chosen by your router will be the IP address you're updated to. You should probably consult your router manual, or your router's manufacturer, to see if they can help you configure your router properly.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:12 PM
  • Yes it does, cause i have a second server (testing Vail) over my other wan and it conflict now. If i could filter the inbound to my lan IP's i can fix this but i dont know how to? What port to what IP etc...
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Call your router manufacturer's tech support, or read the manual. Probably there will be a way to fix certain internal IP addresses to specific external interfaces.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:26 PM
  • Thanx but i did, waiting for response... Maybe...?
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:31 PM
  • The easy answer is to switch forwarding back and forth for testing. That's what I do. Neither V1 nor Vail is going to specifically support sharing an Internet connection, I'm afraid, and if you can't find the information you need in your router's manual, it's not exactly a lot of work to switch between them...
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:37 PM
  • Ok Ken, i hope your answers are more sinfull then till now. I post a problem and want an directly answer for my request not other ways to solve other things around. With all respect... Thanx so far.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:56 AM
  • No offense, but I'm not going to read your router manual to you, even if I knew what router you have (which I don't, and don't you think that might have been useful information to include?). Assuming it's a Cisco RV042 (the least expensive load balancing router I can think of :-) ) look at the section of your manual titled "One to One NAT" (I think; it's something very similar anyway). For other routers look for equivalent functionality.

It's also possible that you'll determine your router isn't capable of doing exactly what you want, either through conversation with the manufacturer's tech support or your own investigation and experimentation. In that case I've provided a workaround.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:44 PM
  • Okey, what i need to know is "trough what port does the WHS check its hostname to the MS hostname service" so i can manage my router over an Protocol binding to use only WAN2. I cant vind anything about ports or firewalls setting in aswell WHS as MS hostname service. It shall use port 53 i think and use nslookup to update the DNS ?

Best regards

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:40 PM
  • so my question is "What protocol do microsoft windows home server use to update dynamic dns records?"
    Friday, May 21, 2010 2:53 PM
  • The home networking technical brief (found in the Windows Home Server section of the Microsoft site) should contain the information you're looking for.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 5:01 PM
  • Nope, it explains only what ports to open/forward and how to setup WHS but there isn't anything written about what protocol it use to update dynamic dns records? Trough what port (TCP/UDP) and what IP it gets the info to update my IP?

I need it to make a protocol binding config in my router.

Friday, May 21, 2010 6:48 PM
  • That question is most easily answered by looking at what name service is being used...DNS. DNS uses UDP and TCP over port 53. The dynamic functionality of the service is handled by functions that check WAN IP addresses and update DNS A records accordingly. WHS dynamic DNS is similar in functionality to DynDNS, TZO, etc.

Regards,

Mike

Friday, May 21, 2010 8:02 PM
  • Thank you, thats an answer i can use.

Best Regards to you Mike

Friday, May 21, 2010 8:08 PM