Using Mesh on WHS2011 - Mesh 'drops' folders on server RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have three machines running Mesh - two pc's and my WHS2011 box. I put an external drive (WD 2tb) on the WHS box specifically for this task.

I've had the WHS box running now for several months. Since Mesh requires a logged on user, I installed it and created a scheduled task to log it on if the box reboots. Not as integrated as installing as a service (which perhaps I need to do), but better than having to check if the box rebooted.

At first, WHS would keep running Mesh, but simply drop folder synching. No errors, no problems - Mesh is running, the synched folders listed in the Mesh app, but not that they are being synched on the server. I thought it was rebooting and that was the cause.

Now it simply drops them. Doesn't reboot (as far as I can tell). ITunes is also running on the box (an HP N40L) and it requires manual intervention to get running - so since it's still up, I know there's been no reboot. But Mesh simply drops the folders.

I'm now checking every morning and most mornings, checking from one of the PC's, it will show only the two PC's as synch partners.

Anyone else have this? Any fixes? Should I go ahead and install as a service and see what happens there? I know SkyDrive can be installed, but I have WAY more then 25g of files on these synched folders - and I don't want them synched up to the cloud. Can you imagine how long 25g would take??

Any suggestions?

3xWin7 Home Premium, 2xXP Pro, 1xWHS2011

• Changed type Sean Zhu - Monday, June 25, 2012 6:12 AM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:59 PM

All replies

• Hmmm.... I think I might know some of the issue.

Before, when it would retain synch settings, I had a monitor and keyboard connected. That was during the build/setup phase. I had admin logged on all the time - so there was an active user.

Now, since it's all working (except Mesh), I have it headless. Which means the only time a user is logged on is when I RDP in. So most of the time, no logged on user. Would this be solved if I install mesh as a service?

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:20 PM
  • You can set a user account to login automatically as you can for Windows 7.  Or better yet create a second user account with Standard Privileges that logs in automatically to run non-server applications.

1. Create a second user account with standard user privileges: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Manage Accounts\Create New Account
    1. Give the new account rights to logon locally & remotely
      1. Open Local Security Policy:  secpol.msc  or Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Local Security Policy\
      1. Select Local Policies->User Rights Assignment
      1. Open Allow log on locally & add the user or group that the user belongs to the list
      1. Open or Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Local Users and Groups\Groups
      1. Add the new user to Remote Desktop Users
    1. Set the new user account to automatically logon
      1. In the Run box or command prompt type: control userpasswords2
      1. Uncheck the “Users must enter a user name & password to use this computer” box.
      1. Select the newly created user & press OK.  When prompted for user credentials enter the user credentials for the new user.

-wellread1
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:16 PM
  • I was able to follow up to step 3.1 - control userpasswords2 brings up an explorer window showing the libraries. Since I'm not sure what control panel you were going for, I can't do that one step. The other thing is where is it specified that the new user will login automagically?

I'm also guessing that I'd place both Mesh and iTunes in the startup group of the new user. iTunes gets a specific error message (about audio configuration) that a user has to press an OK button to bypass.

Which also brings something up... why would iTunes keep running even with no logged on users? I have to, after each system reboot, go in and press that OK button (as administrator) and I can then leave the session and iTunes keeps running. Strange that it will, yet Mesh disconnects.

Friday, June 15, 2012 2:30 PM
  • I believe you are probably typing in the "search programs and files box".  You need to type "control userpasswords2" in the run box (WIN+R) or at the command prompt. There is a registry hack that will add this control to the control panel but I don't have the link to it off hand.  You should be able to find it on the web.

I use the standard user account to run additional desktop applications that need to be on 24/7 such as: Tivo desktop and a Home automation program.  I haven't tried iTunes but it could very well work.

-wellread1

Friday, June 15, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Indeed you were correct. iTunes, on the N40L, since it possesses no audio capability, is going to come up with the audio error. I can live with that and in fact, know a workaround. Now to test...

Thanks for the feedback.

Friday, June 15, 2012 3:51 PM
  • Tip: switch the default power button action for the Standard User account to "Switch user".  That way you don't accidentally log off and shut down the application(s) running in the Standard User account. 

-wellread01

Saturday, June 16, 2012 6:38 PM
  • So it just happened again. I created the user and made sure to set the rdp disconnects to never. I fired up both iTunes and Mesh. Mesh remained synched for about 24 hours after I disconnected the rdp session. I know the session is still running since iTunes is still working. Yet, Mesh not only doesn't say "Mesh isn't running on this machine" as it will if a synch partner is turned off or no one is logged on, it just doesn't show anymore.

I go to the server and mesh is running - but no longer shows any folders as being synched. Now, I do have two pc's synching them, so this is more of an inconvenience than anything else, but HUH? It just drops three folders every day - and then, when re-synched, must transmit all 5400 files. I know Mesh isn't fully supported on WHS2011, so is there something else I could use? I suppose I could simply allow it to be part of my daily backup so it will be on the server and use Mesh to between the two pc's.

Still be nice to solve the mystery...

Monday, June 18, 2012 5:14 AM
  • I had mesh installed a while back and didn't notice any problems, but I was not using it heavily. At the moment I am reinstalling WHS 2011 so I can't try it.  But I may check how it works once my new setup is running smoothly.  Microsoft of course can make changes that break it at any time.

-wellread1

Monday, June 18, 2012 4:46 PM