getting started question RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I have purchased 2 Polycom 501 IP phones (SIP), and I have installed OCS on a single server (no mediation server yet).  My Dialogic Media gateway is still in the ordering phase, as is my PSTN connection.

I can see the admin tool in the Administrative Tools section.  I have added my logon to the RTCUniversalServerAdmins and RTCUniversalUserAdmins groups.  I found that the SSL certificate was not installed on the IIS website, so I added that.  I have IP addresses and time server settings provisioned for the 2 SIP phones.

1. Where do I go to get started?  I want to walk before I run, so I just want to get 2 phones working together for now, then I will deal with the PSTN once my media gateway and T1 lines are running.
    2. How can I configure / manage my SIP phones so that I can at least phone one phone from the other? 
    3. Do I need a Mediation server deployed to get my SIP phones working? 
    4. The admin tools just gives me a read-only view of everything.  For example, I can navigate to enterprise pools / name / users, but I don't see any users and don't have the capability of adding any.  What did I miss?

Thanks,

Shan McArthur

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:19 PM

Answers

• The very first thing you'll need is a SIP-based PBX to which you can connect your phones.  Without that you won't be making any phone calls since you can't connect a SIP phone to OCS.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 6:38 PM

All replies

• The very first thing you'll need is a SIP-based PBX to which you can connect your phones.  Without that you won't be making any phone calls since you can't connect a SIP phone to OCS.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 6:38 PM
  • Thanks for that reply - unfortunately the situation REALLY sucks because I don't have a SIP PBX.  I was hoping that I could get away with a software PBX (that is not asterisk) using OCS and a Dialogic Media Gateway.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a software-based PBX?  I don't want to plow $20K into PBX hardware that will be legacy right out of the box.

Thanks,

Shan

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 7:40 PM
  • 3CX is a Windows based software PBX.  It was reported here that someone got it to work with OCS, but the details of how this was accomplished were never posted.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:21 PM