HELP! Problems with WHS Connector. RRS feed

• Question

• Really need some help figuring out what to do with this one. 

WHS connector was giving me a notice that a new version is available.  When I click to upgrade, it connects to the server, sits at 0% for about 10 seconds, and gives me this error message: 

"This operation cannot be completed at this time.  Please try again later.  If problem persists, please contact Product Support."

Both computers I have are giving me this message and not allowing me to update.  So, I uninstalled the connector on my PC and tried to reinstall from \\server\software\windowshomesoftware location and it gives me the same message.  Now I am stuck with no connector on my PC which stinks cause I can't update.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Friday, May 29, 2009 1:34 AM

All replies

• Really need some help figuring out what to do with this one. 

WHS connector was giving me a notice that a new version is available.  When I click to upgrade, it connects to the server, sits at 0% for about 10 seconds, and gives me this error message: 

"This operation cannot be completed at this time.  Please try again later.  If problem persists, please contact Product Support."

Both computers I have are giving me this message and not allowing me to update.  So, I uninstalled the connector on my PC and tried to reinstall from \\server\software\windowshomesoftware location and it gives me the same message.  Now I am stuck with no connector on my PC which stinks cause I can't update.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Do you have (or have you ever) installed any add-ins/apps?  If so, which ones?  Is that the exact path for your WHS files (because that is not the default path, which is \\server\Software\Home Server Connector Software)?
    Friday, May 29, 2009 4:55 AM
  • I just mis-typed the path to the WHS files...it is the one above.

Only thing I have installed on the server is McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i (supposed to be compatible with WHS) & Perfectdisk 2008 for WHS.

Perfectdisk has been installed on WHS for a long time.  McAfee is a fairly new install for me so I guess it could be a problem.  I have no problems using RDC to get into the server. 

I had a stupid idea yesterday to do a diagnostic startup on the server to see if connection was possible.  Now, of course, I cant remote connect at all and will need to connect a monitor to get it back to normal.

When I get that fixed I guess the next step is to uninstall McAfee and see if it is preventing the update for some reason?

Weird that backups and RDC work fine but the connector wont update on either PC.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 1:56 PM
    Only thing I have installed on the server is McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i (supposed to be compatible with WHS) & Perfectdisk 2008 for WHS.
    Where did you get this information? I can't find anything about this on the McAfee web site. McAfee does have a version of their AV software that's compatible with Windows Home Server, but as far as I know it's only available from HP or (now) Acer, not directly from McAfee.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, May 29, 2009 3:16 PM
  • i am having the same problem please help i to have installed teh mcafee in the last weeks

Tim
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 12:31 AM
  • Same problem here as well, except I don't use McAffee -use Norton instead, which so far has not been a problem (for about 8 months this has been running smoothly).
    Other than Norton, I have no add-ins or other apps running on the server.

After these recent updates (I'm now on SP2) all 9 computers have lost their connection to the server and all say an update is available for the connector software.
    Shares are available, but cannot connect or update via the WHS connector.

Tried updating the connector directly from the server\software share, and it gets as far as asking for password. On entering password however it gives the same error message  - "...try again later....".

I've shut off all firewalls to test if they were the issue, but this made no difference.
    I tried putting the server in the lmhosts file, also to no avail.
    On trying http://<server>:55000, I get message that the server is not set up to connect on that port.

Same on both Vista and WinXP machines.
    What should I try next? Any help greatly appreciated, Andy

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 2:44 AM
  • I am having exactly the same problem as CCallahan.

On 29 May, WHS connector notified that a new version is available. It connects to the server, pauses for about 10 seconds and responds: "This operation cannot be completed at this time.  Please try again later.  If problem persists, please contact Product Support."

This is a clear implication that it will install at a later time, but that time has yet to arrive. All four computers in my network give this message. Each one tests okay per the troubleshooting document linked to in the error message. In the meantime, the WHS backup service is on hold and I have no backup protection. Unless I can resolve this soon, I'm going to have to install Ghost 12 on the server to do the backups.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:18 PM